Learning and applying C++ or C

TLDR:How to learn C++ or C with very little know-how.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of good tutorials to learn C++ or C from scratch, so

that I could use and apply the coding to anything. When I mentioned "anything", I suppose the

coding could be a game or something, but honestly it should be something that I can work on

and use it took keep my skills sharp. As a bit of a disclaimer, I am not very smart when it

comes to computers or coding, even though I took a few years of it(Java,Data structures,assembly

language). Thanks you in advance for taking the time to respond/read.

Rosiv:
TLDR:How to learn C++ or C with very little know-how.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of good tutorials to learn C++ or C from scratch, so

that I could use and apply the coding to anything. When I mentioned "anything", I suppose the

coding could be a game or something, but honestly it should be something that I can work on

and use it took keep my skills sharp. As a bit of a disclaimer, I am not very smart when it

comes to computers or coding, even though I took a few years of it(Java,Data structures,assembly

language). Thanks you in advance for taking the time to respond/read.

C++, eh? Let me see on how to get you started.

Oh, you'd like help on how to get into the programming mindset along with learning C++. Fair enough.

First of all, take the time to know what's going on inside the computer. Browse Wikipedia. Read tech journals. Anything that enhances your knowledge of the innards of a computer. Read until you are confident enough to tell anyone about how a program runs.

Next, start thinking of simple, day tasks that a computer would interpret. Think of a simple task that you do and break it down to be as specific as possible for the computer.

For example, you don't want to tell this to a computer- "Turn on the light"

Why doesn't it work? The computer doesn't know what any of it means and that all of it is very vague. Turn? But which way? Light? Do you mean the bulb, or lighting a candle? If so, where is the bulb/candle?

And so on.

Here's what you want to tell the computer- "Walk in three feet from the center of the room to the light switch that is 6 inches left of the door. Raise hand up to the bottom of the switch and flick up to turn on the light."

That was still kinda vague in my opinion, but it works. Be as specific as possible. You will thank me on the larger programs as the flow of the program can get pretty complicated very fast. You want to keep it simple to help tackle the complex bits.

The next step deals with actual programming. Get yourself an IDE on your computer. IDE stands for integrated development environment, which is where you'll be making the code to your program. I highly recommend CodeBlocks as it's slick and easy to use for beginners and has a version for every desktop OS at the moment. You can find it in this link: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads

Then, find a good tutorial site. I use cprogramming.com as their tutorials and puzzles are pretty good for beginners. There's really no need to buy a book as Google is your friend in these cases. As for actually doing the tutorials, do them one at a time until the topic's stuck in your head. Like splitting up the steps above, you will thank me on the bigger programs a lot.

The best thing about software is that it's the most easily changed machinery on the planet. Every time you complete a tutorial, change it a little. Change some parts in the code. See what break. See what doesn't. That's how learning happens; breaking stuff down to make better stuff. The same is true for coding.

That, should give you some advice on how to begin some programming.

Feel free to ask more questions! Send me a PM or quote me if you have any more questions.

Hope I helped, and hope you have fun coding!

good starter tutorials here
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html

the last post had some good points about logic in programming. try to think of each piece of code as it's own little puzzle for you to solve

ill try to keep too much syntax out of this but here is a real life example of an over simplified program

hungry () {

if person is hungry
go to fridge
if food in fridge or food on table = edible
eat food
else
go buy food
if money = 0
starve
}

if, and, or, else arguments are the basis for all but the most basic programs and given enough time and maths can be used to do basically anything

also one note i will give you when starting out is to write very detailed comments detailing exactly what each snippet does and how it does it. it's where i always go wrong and due to bad memory later when i want to edit some code i most likely have no idea what it does and feel free to copy paste any working code you write into the next program you work on

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked