What type of game?

Lately I have been into programming and video game making but I'm just having trouble deciding on what kind of game i should make and what program to use. Although there is some I do want to use but they just cost too much money so if possible tell me one that is completely free to use.

If you`re looking for free game engines, IŽd check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_game_engines
Tho before choosing one, you`d have to make up your mind about what game you want to make. I`m fairly certain that one of the easier ones tech-wise would be a Visual Novel (Ren`Py would be a good thingy to use for that. I don`t think you even need to know how to code to use that).

If VN-s aren`t your thing, try a 2d platformer or a top-down adventure game, or something like that would be a pretty good idea. I think. just don`t try to make anything too difficult.

Tho looking at that list closer, i could have sworn there are other free game engines, that aren`t on that list. Weird...

But I should say, I am in no way an expert on this field. Haven`t got a lot of experience, actually. So, yeah. There are surely more experienced folk regarding this field on this forum.

Depending what are you going to do, Unity might be suitable for you. It is free 3D game engine that is fairly easy to get into, but still has plenty of features. You can use it to make games to several platforms too.

You can get it from:
http://unity3d.com/

Link55:
Lately I have been into programming and video game making but I'm just having trouble deciding on what kind of game i should make and what program to use. Although there is some I do want to use but they just cost too much money so if possible tell me one that is completely free to use.

The only real way to learn is trial by fire: think of a SIMPLE, throw-away game design, then pick any engine (ideally one that supports your idea, like you shouldn't use Flash to make a 3D game for instance) and try to make it.

If you can't come up with a game idea, start off with making some simple game feature then. I'm learning Unity and it's a pretty good starting point, considering how bare-bones it is. The first thing you'd end up doing is making a camera control, since, you know, you have to SEE your playing field.

Then make a box and get some input controls to move it around the level, and continue from there.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked