$700 gaming computer?

My computer just went kaput so I took this as an opportunity to fulfill my dream of having a gaming computer!
But my budget is rather low(considering): $500-$700 price range. Is this possible? If it is, do you have any recommendations? I am willing to build one, but due to not having a computer, researching would prove difficult.

Captcha: "exercise more" Stop judging me Captcha!

With that budget your only option will be to build it yourself. It is actually much easier to do then you may think and there is plenty of guides available around the web.

Here is what I would recommend.

CPU: Intel Core i3 3225.

GPU: HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB.

Motherboard: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP.

Power Supply: Corsair CX-500 V3.

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3.

HDD: Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX.

Case: NZXT Source 210 Black with Window.

That comes to about 700 Australian dollars so it should be cheaper in US dollars. This build will run every game out there with high graphic settings.

Thanks, counting the price of a moniter and the fact that apparently US dollars are worth a bit LESS than Australian dollars, this goes above my price range. I'm sure I can scrounge up a little extra cash though.
I do wonder why you suggested the Intel i3 3225, when you can get the AMD FX6200 for the exact same price.

ShinyCharizard:
With that budget your only option will be to build it yourself. It is actually much easier to do then you may think and there is plenty of guides available around the web.

Here is what I would recommend.

CPU: Intel Core i3 3225.

GPU: HIS Radeon HD7850 2GB.

Motherboard: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP.

Power Supply: Corsair CX-500 V3.

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3.

HDD: Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX.

Case: NZXT Source 210 Black with Window.

That comes to about 700 Australian dollars so it should be cheaper in US dollars. This build will run every game out there with high graphic settings.

Jak23:
Thanks, counting the price of a moniter and the fact that apparently US dollars are worth a bit LESS than Australian dollars, this goes above my price range. I'm sure I can scrounge up a little extra cash though.

Computer parts are generally cheaper in america regardless of the strength of the currency. In Australia we tend to get price gouged on everything

ShinyCharizard:

Jak23:

Computer parts are generally cheaper in america regardless of the strength of the currency. In Australia we tend to get price gouged on everything

Ah, I see. Is their any particular reason you chose the intel I3 3225, when the AMD FX6200 appears to better and shares the same price?

Jak23:

ShinyCharizard:

Jak23:

Ah, I see. Is their any particular reason you chose the intel I3 3225, when the AMD FX6200 appears to better and shares the same price?

Just a personal preference for intel really. By all means go for the AMD if you wish

ShinyCharizard:

Jak23:

Wow you were rigbt! It costs approximately $560 not counting the moniter!

Jak23:

ShinyCharizard:

Jak23:

AMD processors are better for multi-threaded applications, like video editing, while Intel's good for single-threaded applications, like gaming.

The build that Shiny Charizard recommended is pretty good. I just wanted to ask whether you're fine with using Windows 8, as an OEM copy costs less than one of 7's (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). Yet another place you can save money.

thesilentman:

Jak23:

ShinyCharizard:

AMD processors are better for multi-threaded applications, like video editing, while Intel's good for single-threaded applications, like gaming.

The build that Shiny Charizard recommended is pretty good. I just wanted to ask whether you're fine with using Windows 8, as an OEM copy costs less than one of 7's (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). Yet another place you can save money.

Shit, I already had a build for AMD all figured out too...
I already have a spare copy of Windows 7, so I don't need to buy an OS at all.

Jak23:

thesilentman:

Jak23:

Shit, I already had a build for AMD all figured out too...
I already have a spare copy of Windows 7, so I don't need to buy an OS at all.

Not an issue; they're both good CPUs. Just curious, that's all.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here