RPG VX help

Alright, so my friend and I are making a game using RPG maker VX, and we're having some issue with our graphics. We're trying to make an amulet a pick up, got all of the script right, but when we go to playtest it, it turns into a fish for some god unknown reason. Any help?

EP1
@>; Control Switches: [0001: Pick up]= ON

EP2
Condition Switch 0001: Pick up is on

We're using the amulet from Other3 and it seems to turn into whatever is above it, but only for the graphic.

Uzbekistan:
snip

I'm not familiar with RPG Maker VX specifically, but I've played around with others in that series.
Does VX use sprite sheets?
Have you looked at the sprite sheet to make sure the sprite your code is calling is what you want, instead of a fish?

Your issue might not be the coding at all.

i'm not familiar with the language or software but i know for sure that is not enough code to do what you want it to do
obviously somewhere else it is calling another object so you need to troubleshoot that

are you familiar with breaks and can you insert them? try adding another pickup before and after that one and see what the result is. if its the same object maybe you have the object ID wrong

can you output text defining the variables of object IDs? maybe you forgot a closing bracket or have errant code and the object ID is changing

can you isolate the code into another version of your software? make sure you keep backups of previous versions and copy snippets into them for troubleshooting

If you could post a picture of your script, then that would be very helpful. Judging by what you are saying however, it seems Direction Fix is turned off.

Direction Fix is on every event page (bottom left on VX Ace) and it prevents characters from turning to the player when you interact with it. If you use the amulet and interact with it (without turning on the Direction Fix), then the amulet will try to turn towards the player. Since there is no sprite for that, it turns into complete bullshit.

Ah, apparently it was a common problem in the code. I found a simple fix with a bit of digging around. Thank you two so much for trying to help though!

Farmer_Casper:
If you could post a picture of your script, then that would be very helpful. Judging by what you are saying however, it seems Direction Fix is turned off.

Direction Fix is on every event page (bottom left on VX Ace) and it prevents characters from turning to the player when you interact with it. If you use the amulet and interact with it (without turning on the Direction Fix), then the amulet will try to turn towards the player. Since there is no sprite for that, it turns into complete bullshit.

Yeah, that's what was happening. Thank you for the help!

Uzbekistan:
snip

It confused me endlessly when I tried to make a wooden sign, so I will never forget the solution. Have fun with your project!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here