Resume / Job Advice Please

Hey all, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation and I'm wondering if you could all give me some advice. So here's the background info; about 2 years ago the contract with my then employer expired and was not renew (un-related to my performance; I got glowing reviews). During my time there I had managed to save up quite a bit of money. I took the summer off and started looking for a new job in the fall. Unfourtunately, my grandmother who suffers from a bad case of Alzheimer's took a nasty spill leading to a concussion and a broken arm. I looked after her as she recovered, staying with her in her home. After this incident the family had gotten together and decided she needed constant care and could no longer live on her own. Having saved up a lot of money and being unemployed I decided I would become her primary care giver. So for the past 2 years I've been cooking her meals, doing her chores, scheduling and transporting her to her appointments, etc. However, her condition has gotten so bad that I can no longer provide her the care she needs. So now I'm back on the job market with a 2 year unemployment gap in my resume. My question is...

Should I put that I was my grandmother's primary care giver for year and a half on my resume? I wasn't payed regularly (ever now and then here and there) but I know that people act as care givers as a profession. Should I put it as volouteer experience? How should I deal with this? Any advice would be great, thanks.

If there is one thing that employers don't like it's gaps in your resume, so I would definitely put it down.
The question then becomes what do you put it down as? You need to be very careful with the wording of it.
I would put it as it is, as simply as possible. I think you will most likely be asked more about it in interview (assuming your resume is good enough to get you an interview).

MrCollins:
If there is one thing that employers don't like it's gaps in your resume, so I would definitely put it down.
The question then becomes what do you put it down as? You need to be very careful with the wording of it.
I would put it as it is, as simply as possible. I think you will most likely be asked more about it in interview (assuming your resume is good enough to get you an interview).

Thanks for the advice. It's a tricky situation so I appreciate the feedback.

My sister and I both ahd caring for our grandmother in gaps in our resumes and it was just fine. All you need to say is "I'd saved up a lot of money and my grandmother needed to be cared for, so I didn't work during that time" and anyone with any sense will see that: a: You manage money well, and b: you will do thing that may not be easy or rewarding because you're a good person.

Put it on your resume and be happy to explain the gap if asked. List that you cooked, cleaned, chauffered and such as well as it'll show good orginization and a variety of skills.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked