voltage and ampere. I have no idea what I am doing.

Hey everyone,

I am working with a router over here and ran into a little confusion. The device reads the following:

DC 12v/1A! (with a picture of a plug next to it)

I dug up an adapter that would fit the dang thing and it read:

Input: 100-240V~/0.2A 47-63Hz
Output: +5V --- 1.6A
Class II Power Supply

That stuff is all fancy jargon to me, so I plugged the bad boy in and it worked. Will it continue to do so without burning down the building I am working from? Or the router for that matter?

Bonus question: I also have a laptop-adapter that dwarfs the requirements stated on the back of the router, but will using that cause any similar problems?

Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

Hi Electrician here.
I'm not sure what voltage your country runs at but it'll defiantly be between the 100-240V that the adapter needs to work.

According to the information your adapter puts out more than 5 DC volts and 1.6 Amps. The router takes 12 DC volts and only 1 Amp so you've got the right one for what you need.

I'd like to hope that manufactures make it so you can't plug things together that'll set fire to the room.

Dr.Susse:
Hi Electrician here.
I'm not sure what voltage your country runs at but it'll defiantly be between the 100-240V that the adapter needs to work.

According to the information your adapter puts out more than 5 DC volts and 1.6 Amps. The router takes 12 DC volts and only 1 Amp so you've got the right one for what you need.

I'd like to hope that manufactures make it so you can't plug things together that'll set fire to the room.

Thank you kindly!
I feel a lot more comfortable plugging these babies into the wall-socket close to my carpet now.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked