Dangerous Family Member

This is actually based on a friends situation, I'm not going to go into too much detail. I'm just asking you in general what you would do if you had a dangerous sibling that has uncontrollable mood swings and has the potential to risk the rest of your family's lives. Ok, I am looking for advice.

Some of those events are throwing knives and pushing people down the stairs backwards. The parents are too scared to do any thing, and I have no idea if it's their fault or the kids just mental.

As a person who has BEEN said dangerous family member (long story), reinforce a room and lock him in it while you call for professional medical help.

Have him/her arrested , then move far far away . Disown/kick them out . Get a restraining order .

If your answer to any of those suggestions is : " but he's family!", you are screwed . Enjoy living your life in fear .

Get them professional help ASAP. One of my friends brother tried to stab their mum because of severe paranoia. Unless they want someone to get hurt the best thing to do is to get them help.

If it's just because they're aggressive, they need therapy and counselling. If that doesn't work, kick them out and tell them that you can't live with them and that it is their fault.

If it's a psychiatric disorder, they need either cognitive behavioural therapy or medication. If that doesn't help, sorry, but you have to tell them to leave. They don't have the right to threaten other people with their behavior. They're in the wrong, and if they pose a threat, then that's their fault, not yours. You don't have a duty to "put up" with them while you hopefully wait for them to change.

The next time they do something crazy or threaten someone, call the cops. Unpleasant, yes, but necessary.

krazykidd:
Have him/her arrested , then move far far away . Disown/kick them out . Get a restraining order .

If your answer to any of those suggestions is : " but he's family!", you are screwed . Enjoy living your life in fear .

Seems fair. I'll have to remember the restraining order.

Korolev:
If it's just because they're aggressive, they need therapy and counselling. If that doesn't work, kick them out and tell them that you can't live with them and that it is their fault.

If it's a psychiatric disorder, they need either cognitive behavioural therapy or medication. If that doesn't help, sorry, but you have to tell them to leave. They don't have the right to threaten other people with their behavior. They're in the wrong, and if they pose a threat, then that's their fault, not yours. You don't have a duty to "put up" with them while you hopefully wait for them to change.

The next time they do something crazy or threaten someone, call the cops. Unpleasant, yes, but necessary.

Even mentioning therapy sends him of into a fit. If he would just listen then it would probably work, but he doesn't. They have thought about kicking them out but they feel really uncomfortable about it. I think that is best as well.

Thanks you lot for the advice

These sorts of people don't change. Just hope that he fails at one of his crazy outbursts and hurts himself enough that he won't be a problem anymore

The person is endangering your lives (throwing knives and pushing people), so you cant let it stay this way. The best option would be to see professional psychological help. I am not sure where you live, as that may simply not be an option in some places. In this case police is your answer, make sure he gets charged for repeated assault.
If you hesitate from doing this due to it being "blood", then, well, you made your own bed.

Someone who is acting like that needs a lot of help and the faster they get it, the sooner they'll get better. It's that simple.

I don't know about you but if a family member repeatedly threw knives at me I'd have police, ambulance and medical officer for approval of compulsory hospitalization there in no time.
That sounds so bad, I can't even think of a joke to make...

If they get really out of control.. id probably call the police. You cant take the risk of themselves injuring others or themselves!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked