Google Chrome Bookmarks Help

Recently, I set up a new computer, Window's 8, and moved all of the bookmarks from the old one to this one with the Google Chrome Sync feature. The old computer is going to be given to a family member but I want to delete all of my bookmarks there. I know that any changes you make go to all of your other Google internet Devices, so if I delete my bookmarks from one computer, will they be deleted from the other?

If so, how do I stop this?

If not, sorry about wasting your time.

Thank you.

I take it that when you say "Google Sync Feature," you mean that you signed into Google Chrome via your gmail account and it automatically downloaded all of your Chrome settings and bookmarks, right? If that's the case, then you have nothing to worry about. Your information isn't on the hard-drive of the old computer, it's being held onto by Google via your gmail account. It's in Google's "cloud," and can't be deleted unless you delete the gmail account or if Google's servers go kaput.

If you don't have a gmail account (and honestly I can't figure out how you would have done that without a gmail account), then I'm not exactly sure.

Lilani:
I take it that when you say "Google Sync Feature," you mean that you signed into Google Chrome via your gmail account and it automatically downloaded all of your Chrome settings and bookmarks, right? If that's the case, then you have nothing to worry about. Your information isn't on the hard-drive of the old computer, it's being held onto by Google via your gmail account. It's in Google's "cloud," and can't be deleted unless you delete the gmail account or if Google's servers go kaput.

If you don't have a gmail account (and honestly I can't figure out how you would have done that without a gmail account), then I'm not exactly sure.

So, I can just go ahead and delete them from the old computer and I'll still have them on my new computer? Yes, I am using my Gmail Account for doing this. Thank you.

Cookiegerard:
So, I can just go ahead and delete them from the old computer and I'll still have them on my new computer? Yes, I am using my Gmail Account for doing this. Thank you.

Yup, that information is tied to your gmail account, not the computer. And it automatically updates regardless of what computer you're signed into.

For example, I access my Chrome account on my home computer and in school computer labs. I can change a bookmark in the computer lab, and the next time I sign into Chrome on my home computer that bookmark will be there. As long as you're signed into Chrome, it will save the changes you make and will be there the next time you sign in, no matter where you sign in.

Yeah, but make sure you're signed out of chrome on the computer you're getting rid of first...you might have a problem otherwise. I keep backups of my bookmarks in a few places just in case.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked