I'm really overwhelmed and could use some advice

Okay so to start, the last year or so has been easily the single most stressful time of my life so far. I failed my junior year of high school last year, this was largely due to my at the time undiagnosed ADHD and depression, and I had to make up all of my classes over the summer so I could still be a senior.

My perpetually bad luck with relationships seems to have reached a new low as well. I met this 15 year old girl, despite her telling me her age I always thought she was 16 for whatever reason, when I still 17 and that seemed to be going well. Her mom was very controlling, wouldn't let her have a facebook or a phone or anything, so we didn't see each other much and ended up breaking up. After a couple months of not hearing from her she decides to text me from her friend's phone one day asking to hang out. It's worth noting here that I was 18 by this point. I was in the area anyway to buy a 3DS but I had to get my friend back home soon and that was about a 40 minute drive so I told her I only could if she could come to my place. Well she did.

She ended up staying over that night and it was honestly the happiest I'd been since I'd last seen her. Well the next day her friend that was supposed to be covering her decided to tell her mom where she was (her friend had never like me). Her mom ended up calling the police and reporting her as a runaway. We had no idea until right as we were leaving to take her home the sheriff comes knocking on the roof of my car. He took her into the back of his cruiser and I had to follow them all the way to the police department out near where she lived. So here I was guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and having sex with her..The officer questioning me decided not to charge me because of how cooperative I was, but of course the state still could.

So of course the state decided to and now I've hired an attorney and have to step in front of the judge within the next month or so. Thankfully it's only a misdemeanor because of the small age difference as opposed to a felony. Now I've always been quick to form attachments and have difficulty letting go so even through all of that I just miss her..I recently found out that after her court situation is settled that she'd be allowed to see me again. My older sister said that if I wanted that than I should get a contract written up to keep myself protected, a couple other people say I should just stay the hell away. I don't know what to do there. Any advice on all of this would be appreciated.

On the plus side, I finally got to see a doctor about my adhd concern last month. That's when I was finally diagnosed both ADHD and clinically depressed. I stared taking adderall and prozac last saturday and the first 3 days were pretty rough but the side effects seem to be subsiding now. The timing on these was perfect really, I was very seriously thinking about suicide before starting on them..So if anyone here's had any experiences with either or both drugs then that could also be helpful. Or for that matter anyone who's suffered from either adhd or depression really..

I know that's a fair amount of reading so to any that take the time to read and respond I say thank you. I don't really know anyone personally that's had much experience with any of the above so it's my hope that maybe some of the folks around here might have some helpful advice.

While you're reading this, keep in mind that I am by no means an expert on anything.

For the girl situation, I feel as though you'd almost want to stay away. After all of these legal shenanigans, and her controlling parents, and her untrustworthy friend, I almost feel as though you could get mixed up with something that you don't want to. I used to have trouble letting go of things too, but it's important to realize that there are more ideal situations than this. I mean, her parents can't be too happy knowing that she lied to them and also slept with you.

But, at the end of the day, this comes down to how you feel. I can't tell you how to think, so if you think it's worth it or if you feel like you'd be depressed without her, do what makes you happy, just be careful and exercise EXTREME caution.

As for the medicine, I've never taken either of those. I've also never been clinically diagnosed with either of those, so I can't be of too much help, but I guess just try to do your research and monitor how you feel. If you ever have suicidal thoughts, remember that shouldn't be an option. Maybe try posting here again if that happens, and I'm sure you'd get a lot of help from people.

That's all I've got, sorry if it doesn't help, I tried! Good luck

CamBamUniverse:
While you're reading this, keep in mind that I am by no means an expert on anything.

For the girl situation, I feel as though you'd almost want to stay away. After all of these legal shenanigans, and her controlling parents, and her untrustworthy friend, I almost feel as though you could get mixed up with something that you don't want to. I used to have trouble letting go of things too, but it's important to realize that there are more ideal situations than this. I mean, her parents can't be too happy knowing that she lied to them and also slept with you.

But, at the end of the day, this comes down to how you feel. I can't tell you how to think, so if you think it's worth it or if you feel like you'd be depressed without her, do what makes you happy, just be careful and exercise EXTREME caution.

As for the medicine, I've never taken either of those. I've also never been clinically diagnosed with either of those, so I can't be of too much help, but I guess just try to do your research and monitor how you feel. If you ever have suicidal thoughts, remember that shouldn't be an option. Maybe try posting here again if that happens, and I'm sure you'd get a lot of help from people.

That's all I've got, sorry if it doesn't help, I tried! Good luck

I welcome any response with good intentions, so thank you. As for the parent situation, I guess she met her dad for the first time this month and he's back in her life so I'm not sure how that changes things but's it's something anyway. There's no doubt that I'll be exercising at least some degree of caution no matter how this all pans out, you can count on that. And I certainly won't even consider doing anything unless I'd get her parents to sign some legal papers or something, jail is a scary place and I'd definitely prefer not have to spend time there if I can avoid it! It's a tough decision, I know she can make me happy and I've always been pretty awful at meeting new people but there's obviously some risk and whatnot. In regards to suicidal and depressing thought in general, fortunately it'd appear that the medications have curbed my thoughts away from that spectrum for the most part, so hopefully that continues. If they do come back though I've always thought that the majority of the people here were really good with trying to help people.

Again I thank you for taking the time to respond! I think it's always a good idea to hear the opinions and advice of others, especially so in complicated matters such as this.

Honestly I don't know enough about you or the girl or anything else to help you with the big decissions.
All you can do is decide what will make me happy? Given the situation you've described I would follow your sisters advice, get a contract, get some protection, she will understand your situation, and then do whatever makes you happy, go out with her if you want, and if it doesn't all work out, such is life.

Follow your heart man. Life's (Bleh, society) is going to throw shit at you every once in a while, but you gotta stand above that. Do what YOU want. Say "Fuck 'em" and see where it leads you.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked