people with chronic pain and recovery

so long story short i have a lower back issue (bulging disc) and i was advised by the physio to do a bunch of exercises and told by the doctor that in X amount of time i would be fully recovered likely better than new with my new and improved stronger back muscles

i am now in a position where if i stop doing my exercises for 1 day i have strong pain and if i skip 2 days of exercises i basically can't walk.
that to me seems counter intuitive. i'm no stranger to joint and ligament issues but i have always been of the position that strengthening the surrounding muscles while allowing recovery of the injured body part would fix the problem. however it seems at this point the only thing holding me together is the muscle tension from recent activity. obviously i don't want to have to do 3 hours of exercise a day just so i can walk so wondering how others have handled similar situations.

Bulging disc, that's icky. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here

lechat:
i'm no stranger to joint and ligament issues but i have always been of the position that strengthening the surrounding muscles while allowing recovery of the injured body part would fix the problem.

but I'll throw in my 0.02€ anyway. With a disc issue like that, the pain comes from the disc pushing against the spinal nerves and causing you the pain. So the exercise is basically, I'd understand, meant to kick the disc back into position every day, it's not an issue of a temporary injury (thus "chronic" pain), but a persistent problem in your spine that you need to constantly and actively work to keep in check, and it will diminish with time.

The medical practice generally considers surgery as a last resort in very bad cases.

I'm not sure how much use this is to you, though *scratches head*

yeah maybe i was unclear
basically my experience with injury is that strengthening the surrounding muscles allows you to build up enough strength that a few months/weeks down the track you are at a point where you do not put as much strain on the injured part of your body and can stop the exercises but in this case it's not the added strength that is helping but apparently the muscle tension from the previous days exercise

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked