Dual Monitor Setup with Video Card?

I posted on here a week ago asking about a gaming pc setup, so this is kind of a follow up:

I'm building another PC, and the user wants to have a dual monitor setup. Two of these monitors to be exact:

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor-Black/dp/B005BZNDOO

So my question is: what video card would be necessary for something like this? Because I am aware that you would need two DVI ports for this (or at least, so I've heard). So does anyone have any recommendations? Is there something I should be looking for?

Also, on Amazon it says that this monitor is frequently bought with these:

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-Cable-feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

So I'd have to buy two, I'm assuming? Or none at all? I don't know exactly what this comes with.

EDIT: Also, since I don't know much about this, is there any reason that an Intel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core processor wouldn't work with it? I don't see why it wouldn't, but it doesn't hurt to be sure

2ND EDIT: This isn't a gaming PC by the way, the user does not plan to play any games on it.

CamBamUniverse:

I'm running one of the lowest of the low video cards, the ATI Radeon HD 5450, but I'm also running dual 24" HDTVs with it. My video card comes with only DVI and HDMI. I don't know much about video performance but I do know that extending the desktop reveals a huge difference between HDMI and DVI. The DVI looks more natural while HDMI looks completely oversaturated. I've tried adjusting the monitors to match but in the long run it just didn't matter to me.

I haven't tried using a dongle to convert the HDMI to DVI (or was it the other way around?) because like I said, I could not care less. Your customer however, probably will care. So I would get a card with either dual HDMI or dual DVI ports, just not mixed. I have also always wanted to try out an Eyefinity card. Sigh, one day.

I'm also using Ergotron arms for my TV/monitors. Once you use an Ergotron you'll never go back.

FizzyIzze:

I'm running one of the lowest of the low video cards, the ATI Radeon HD 5450, but I'm also running dual 24" HDTVs with it. My video card comes with only DVI and HDMI. I don't know much about video performance but I do know that extending the desktop reveals a huge difference between HDMI and DVI. The DVI looks more natural while HDMI looks completely oversaturated. I've tried adjusting the monitors to match but in the long run it just didn't matter to me.

I haven't tried using a dongle to convert the HDMI to DVI (or was it the other way around?) because like I said, I could not care less. Your customer however, probably will care. So I would get a card with either dual HDMI or dual DVI ports, just not mixed. I have also always wanted to try out an Eyefinity card. Sigh, one day.

I'm also using Ergotron arms for my TV/monitors. Once you use an Ergotron you'll never go back.

Okay, fair enough. I'm looking at this one now:

EDIT: Nevermind, I was being an idiot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130789

seems like a better choice to me. Relatively new, and dual DVI.

CamBamUniverse:

FizzyIzze:

snip

Okay, fair enough. I'm looking at this one now:

EDIT: Nevermind, I was being an idiot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130789

seems like a better choice to me. Relatively new, and dual DVI.

I think at this rate I would take your questions to the Escapist's Technology Help Corner, but I think that card should be fine. Regarding a mixed HDMI/DVI card, the one thing I wasn't able to test was the video signal using an HDMI to DVI cable. That may have actually worked better.

As long as you're using the same displays I think you should be fine. I would find a card with a better user rating, but it looks like the reviews are all screwed up because some people bought it for gaming. One reviewer listed his rating as one star because the architecture of the card created a bottleneck, but the manufacturer specifically responded to him, reminding him that the card shouldn't be used for gaming. Also, it's good you're buying from Newegg.

FizzyIzze:

CamBamUniverse:

FizzyIzze:

snip

double snip

I think at this rate I would take your questions to the Escapist's Technology Help Corner, but I think that card should be fine. Regarding a mixed HDMI/DVI card, the one thing I wasn't able to test was the video signal using an HDMI to DVI cable. That may have actually worked better.

Huh, always thought that thread was just a general information sticky, not an actual question thread, but thanks, I'll head over there. Thanks for all the help!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked