I'm worried I may have a disease that I don't know about

Ok, so in the summer of 2011, I went to India as part of a work experience thing for medicine. It involved working in a hospital and seeing operations. During one of these operations (a mastectomy), one of the doctors beckoned me to come closer to the table to see what was happening. As I came closer, he must have cut a blood vessel open or something because blood spurted out of the person and landed on me.

As far as I remember, my nose and mouth were completely covered by a surgical mask and although my eyes weren't covered at the time, I'm about 99% sure none of it got into my eyes and I'm just about certain that I never wore the scrubs I had on during that particular operation again. I know I'm probably fine, but I've been thinking about this on and off for the past while. I don't feel sick and I don't think I've been seriously ill since I got back, but apparently with lots of diseases the symptoms don't appear for a long time.

So I suppose what I'm asking is am I just being paranoid? Or should I get myself checked out just to be safe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis

If it makes you feel better to get checked out and you have health insurance, by all means get checked out. You're most definitely being paranoid though.

BloatedGuppy:

Bahahahahaha....!

ahhhhh.....

>_>

<_<

Err....you see it's funny because that would mean he really had a disease he didn't know about.....

I feel bad now - I apologize. But that was just too tempting......

But let's be serious now: Guppy has the right idea here. Get it checked out if you need to, but the probability is high that you are just paranoid. It's been over one and a half year since that event and you don't have any kind of symptoms. I think it's safe to conclude by now that anything you might have caught would have appeared during that timeframe. Also a quick look at Wiki tells me that a Mastectomy is used usually in the treatment of Breast Cancer. And cancer is, to my knowledge, completely non-infectious. So calm down.

Chromatic Aberration:

BloatedGuppy:

Bahahahahaha....!

ahhhhh.....

>_>

<_<

Err....you see it's funny because that would mean he really had a disease he didn't know about.....

I feel bad now - I apologize. But that was just too tempting......

But let's be serious now: Guppy has the right idea here. Get it checked out if you need to, but the probability is high that you are just paranoid. It's been over one and a half year since that event and you don't have any kind of symptoms. I think it's safe to conclude by now that anything you might have caught would have appeared during that timeframe. Also a quick look at Wiki tells me that a Mastectomy is used usually in the treatment of Breast Cancer. And cancer is, to my knowledge, completely non-infectious. So calm down.

Cancer wasn't what I was worried about, I was thinking more along the lines of hepatitis, HIV, that kind of thing. But yes, I see your point. With the possible exception of HIV, the majority of illnesses I could have contratced from contact with that person's blood would have probably made themselves known by now.

It it's bothering you, get a blood test.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked