Not feeling quite as good as I did and not sure why.

So this is going to come off as whiny , in fact that's probably my major problem right now but lets leave that until later. Recently ( and by recently I mean from about 6 months ago ) I just haven't felt ... It's difficult to articulate exactly how I've felt but I suppose I just haven felt quite as happy as I had been. And I cant work out the reason.

As of late I've been feeling steadily and steadily less good about myself and I have no reason to at all. My school grades are almost all A's , I have hobbies and a girlfriend. By all means I should be perfectly content but for one reason or another I cant seem to bring myself up to the level I was at last year. Which is odd.

A large part of it is a feeling of no motivation or productivity. I currently have one friend who is getting a book published and all I can claim to do with my day is browse the internet and play videogames. The more in detail I look at my life the more I see a waste of time that I'm enjoying less and less everyday. I used to write frequently and I even play guitar less now , my only real hobby. I'm also finding that I'm going out less , I was never a particularly social person to begin with but now I'm just making more and more excuses and I really don't know why.

Growing cynicism aside ( I'm aware that's usual for someone my age ) I feel like If I try to bring up this general down feeling I cant be taken seriously. I have friends who self harms , suffer from clinical depression and have massive family issues and what can I claim to be upset over? A lack motivation? I just end up feeling like my problems are insignificant next to others which doesn't help me at all.

If you think that this is just pointless whinging do say , I just don't quite know what it is that's brought me down so quickly.

Captcha - Let it be - The Beatles arent going to help me!

Lewg999:
snip

You need to feel a sense of achievement in your life, You have almost all A's be happy about that. You said you play guitar? I sure can't play guitar, pick it back up and learn some new songs, improve yourself and maybe play for other people (I bet your girlfriend might enjoy it, try writing her a song). It's important for people to feel like the aren't just running in circles.

I suppose so , I do often feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. Appreciate the response , :)

Lewg999:
I suppose so , I do often feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. Appreciate the response , :)

No problem. I know it's hard to find motivation, but just give it a try regardless and see how it works out. I know on a few of my art projects, I don't want to get started, but once I do, I actually really enjoy it. At the very least, you have the motivation to find motivation! Perhaps playing guitar for other people rather than just yourself will also help.

Lewg999:
I just haven felt quite as happy as I had been. And I cant work out the reason.

Darn, I can't remember where/who it was, but the other day I was listening to someone talk about how tragic it is that all human beings strive for happiness when it's actually impossible to be happy all of the time. As happiness is (like all emotions) chemical releases, the body only makes so much for special occasions. Most of the time we will be merely ambivalent or content, no matter how good we've got it.

So what you're feeling may just be a case of your brain running out of juice. 'Yeah, okay, we've done the being pleased with ourself thing, it's all pretty whatever now.'

Maybe you just needed a break from it. From the writing and the music. I study illustration and the amount of times I've gone 'ARGH THIS IS CRAP WHY AM I DOING THIS' is... well, it's a lot, considering I want to make it my career. And then I come back to a project I really like and then I remember that I love it. Maybe you need to give yourself a new, fun project? Something with an actual goal, like a novel or a little album? Have you thought about collaborating with someone, maybe team up with an illustrator to make a comic or a book, or find other musicians to jam with?

As for the social thing, I went through that as well, but I'm 23 now and I've learned to just accept that I'm just not a very social person. When you're a teenager it's all about going out and being with your friends, but by the time I started uni I realised that really, I'd much prefer to curl up with a book most weekends instead of going out. And that's actually okay. Just make sure you stay in touch with people you care about and see them sometimes.

lisadagz:

Lewg999:
I just haven felt quite as happy as I had been. And I cant work out the reason.

Darn, I can't remember where/who it was, but the other day I was listening to someone talk about how tragic it is that all human beings strive for happiness when it's actually impossible to be happy all of the time. As happiness is (like all emotions) chemical releases, the body only makes so much for special occasions. Most of the time we will be merely ambivalent or content, no matter how good we've got it.

So what you're feeling may just be a case of your brain running out of juice. 'Yeah, okay, we've done the being pleased with ourself thing, it's all pretty whatever now.'

Maybe you just needed a break from it. From the writing and the music. I study illustration and the amount of times I've gone 'ARGH THIS IS CRAP WHY AM I DOING THIS' is... well, it's a lot, considering I want to make it my career. And then I come back to a project I really like and then I remember that I love it. Maybe you need to give yourself a new, fun project? Something with an actual goal, like a novel or a little album? Have you thought about collaborating with someone, maybe team up with an illustrator to make a comic or a book, or find other musicians to jam with?

As for the social thing, I went through that as well, but I'm 23 now and I've learned to just accept that I'm just not a very social person. When you're a teenager it's all about going out and being with your friends, but by the time I started uni I realised that really, I'd much prefer to curl up with a book most weekends instead of going out. And that's actually okay. Just make sure you stay in touch with people you care about and see them sometimes.

I'm inclined to start seeking out more people , see if I can collaborate on something. I appreciate the response though. I need to start writing my blog again , that might give me something to do.

I think you need to accept the fact that most people accomplish nothing in their lives, and dont even have a real hobby.
That is why people need jobs and family. It gives them a reason to motivate themselves.

The reason is probably that we need contrasts to be content. For example if you get sick you get happy for a while after by just being healthy again. After a while being healthy is the norm and it stops being a contrast. There can be no hapiness if there's no sadness there can be no accomplishment if there's no failure. Without contrast there's only apathy.

danon:
The reason is probably that we need contrasts to be content. For example if you get sick you get happy for a while after by just being healthy again. After a while being healthy is the norm and it stops being a contrast. There can be no hapiness if there's no sadness there can be no accomplishment if there's no failure. Without contrast there's only apathy.

Very "Count of Monte Cristo" like. The count states that we can only appreciate life after the greatest sadness.

Anyway: Tell me, do you have any goals and/or dreams?

cambamuniverse:

danon:

Very "Count of Monte Cristo" like. The count states that we can only appreciate life after the greatest sadness.

Anyway: Tell me, do you have any goals and/or dreams?

I don't have lots of dreams and goals i want to buy a house though one day.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked