So I stoped a thief at work and might loose my job or get couched for it....

So it was at work today and I saw a guy acting odd and such in the lego area of my department I work in and I kept a eye on him and said need any help a few times he eventually put a lego set into his bag minus the box he even grabbed the books and tried to make a quick retreat i saw and followed him while looking for AP or a officer.

He got outside and was running and I saw a cop car outside and ran to it and he quickly nabbed the perp and cuffed him.

I got his bag and confirmed its the stolen items and returned to the store

Well apparently because im not authorized I can get in trouble for it and face possible termination or couching which would kill any chances for a career for me.

Im not sure what to do or anything I cant even think of what I will do if i loose my job.

Btw I work at Walmart in Toys Department/Electronics

I have to re give my statement to other members of management and 2 members of AP and they will choose what will happen to me.

I plan to give the honest and full report of what happened today when im at work tomorrow but I dont know what I will do if i lose my job.

Any thoughts or advice could help or if you have been in a situation like this please feel free to share im really worried and nervous atm.

I suspect that nobody's responded to your post because they don't want to feel responsible if you get fired. I've only worked retail briefly myself, but I think I know how things would normally go considering the stories that had been in the news about employees getting fired after intervening with certain incidents at work. They don't usually end with the employee being hailed as a hero.

Chances are you'll be disciplined, the extent of which is uncertain. You sound like you didn't know you weren't authorized to act, and I would go with that.

It sounds like you really did act in good faith. I would be honest for starters, but it seems like you weren't in any immediate danger. For the sake of your job, I would go as far as saying that you didn't feel threatened.

Really important, you didn't block the guy from leaving.

You didn't place yourself in harm's way. It sounds like he never even acknowledged you. He probably never even spoke to you, correct? You were a non-threat to him and vice versa.

Big companies are probably weary of employee lawsuits stemming from injuries at work, regardless of whether or not it was an accident or because of an assault. You went to a person of authority--a policeman, and reported the incident. From an outsider's point of view, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Good luck man.

FizzyIzze:
SNIPPY SNIP SNIP

If thats the case I thank you for atleast responding I wouldnt hold anyone here to blame if I got fired that would be silly

Thanks for what advice you have tho I really hope this ends well atleast most of electronics find it bs if i where to be fired and got my number incase the worst happens XP

Veldie:
Well apparently because im not authorized I can get in trouble for it and face possible termination or couching which would kill any chances for a career for me.

Out of interest, how would getting fired from Walmart kill any chance of a career for you? Wouldn't whatever profession you intend to work in kinda assume that it was just some unimportant temp job and gloss over it?

FizzyIzze:
I suspect that nobody's responded to your post because they don't want to feel responsible if you get fired.

Well, maybe that, but to be honest two hours isn't a long wait for a response in the Advice Forum ;-) Unless it's been days and you've gotten no response, you can attribute a lack of posts to not a lot of people having read the thread.

You are right that the best thing to do is give an honest and full statement. I think the reason they want you to have had "authorization" is because they don't want their everyday WalMart employees to be playing supercop and escalating situations where it's unnecessary. From the higher-up's point of view, a few stolen goods is a lot easier to deal with than somebody who may or may not have done anything getting chased out of the store--or if the person has done something, causing them to pull a weapon or hurt someone else during the chase. Their highest concern isn't the stolen goods, it's making sure nobody gets hurt. Stolen goods are worth a few hundred at most, but a lawsuit is millions.

I honestly can't tell you how they will handle this, but the optimist in me says they won't fire you. They might give you a stern talking to about how to deal with shoplifters, but as long as you haven't had any other problems with them I don't feel like they'd fire you. But again, I don't know how they're approaching this, so take that with a grain of salt.

And even if you get fired, there will be something else. It may take you a while, and you may have to be proactive and in-your-face about it to your possible future employers, but you will find something again. It's not the end of the world. It's not like you got fired for drug possession--you got excited about a shoplifter and in trying to help, you broke a few protocols that go against one's first instincts when it comes to those sorts of situations.

Well that fucking sucks. The only advice i could give is to cooperate completely and be honest about whats happened. If theres cctv that should help you. Hopefully reason will prevail.

If you DO lose your job or get couched over this i would suggest getting into contact with your trade union if there is one and then taking it to court.

adamsaccount:
Well that fucking sucks. The only advice i could give is to cooperate completely and be honest about whats happened. If theres cctv that should help you. Hopefully reason will prevail.

If you DO lose your job or get couched over this i would suggest getting into contact with your trade union if there is one and then taking it to court.

oooops wrong post edit i hate how escapist lacks a mobile version of site

Veldie:
So it was at work today and I saw a guy acting odd and such in the lego area of my department I work in and I kept a eye on him and said need any help a few times he eventually put a lego set into his bag minus the box he even grabbed the books and tried to make a quick retreat i saw and followed him while looking for AP or a officer.

Sounds like the guy was bricking it. Good to hear you were able to keep it together and not fall to pieces. If it was me, I would have grabbed the stolen goods from his hand and said "Hey, le'go of that!"

Veldie:

adamsaccount:

oooops wrong post edit i hate how escapist lacks a mobile version of site

If you don't mind my curiosity, how did it go?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked