Mobo, RAM and GPU model advice

I need a good recommendation for Motherboard and RAM. Also cost effective
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 or 7970, maybe gtx 670
Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha

I'd like USB 3 on the back, no need for USB 3 headers since case is usb 2 only. Would like several SATA III (6 GBit/s). Also, RAM advice. Do I need more than 8 gigs? 1333, 1600 or 1800? (I'm trying to save costs)

Finally, what models for graphics cards? I'd go EVGA on the 670, but the 7870 and 7970, anybody had good/bad personal experiences with the XFX DD series? or ASUS, Sapphire, MSI?

Also, is it worth getting a 7970 GHz edition or should I take a 7970 with good cooling and overclock?

Well for the motherboard I have two recommendations

1. ASRock 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1207_803&products_id=18661

2. ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1207_803&products_id=18082

I've had nothing but good experiences using ASRock boards.

As for RAM you will be fine with 8GB and 1333mhz will also be fine. Although if you can get a cheap deal on 16GB then don't hesitate.

For the graphics card I'd personally go with the GTX 670. Doesn't really matter which brand you go with but ASUS, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte all make quality cards.

Thanks, that's very good advice :D

One more question, between a 7970 with dual fans and an EVGA 670, which should I go for do you think? I've heard that a 7970 overclocked (which is easier to do with dual fans) reaches a performance level similar to the gtx 680. What're your thoughts on it?

AlwaysPractical:
Thanks, that's very good advice :D

One more question, between a 7970 with dual fans and an EVGA 670, which should I go for do you think? I've heard that a 7970 overclocked (which is easier to do with dual fans) reaches a performance level similar to the gtx 680. What're your thoughts on it?

Well either card is a solid choice. Personally I'd go with the GTX 670 as I've had a better experience with nvidia drivers.

Also you can overclock the 670 to reach slightly higher performance than the 680

FX processors came out a bit problematic, so don't forget to upgrade the bios once you get the mobo.

ShinyCharizard:
Well either card is a solid choice. Personally I'd go with the GTX 670 as I've had a better experience with nvidia drivers.
Also you can overclock the 670 to reach slightly higher performance than the 680

Good to know, thanks. Depending on some new budget considerations, will either go with a 7870 GHz or a 670. Will probably go for 670 since I'm REALLY getting into Planetside 2 and PhysX support is looking to make it really damn pretty.

Any budget CPU coolers you'd recommend?

AWAR:
FX processors came out a bit problematic, so don't forget to upgrade the bios once you get the mobo.

I hadn't heard about this, good to know, thank you.

The Hyper 212 EVO is a perfect budget cooler. The 92mm Hyper TX3 is a little bit cheaper, but with decent ariflow there is very little difference between the two.

AWAR:
The Hyper 212 EVO is a perfect budget cooler.

This is also what I'd recommend.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here