Skype Problems

a couple of weeks ago my headset started making a weird "thump" noise when I call with video on skype. It's really irritating. I asked my girlfriend if she heard it as well and she said that she heard it when she used a headset but didn't when she just used the speakers on her laptop.

anyone else got this problem and does anyone know whats causing it or how to fix it?

I've never run into this issue and I only ever use a headset, though a little more description may help people work out your problem. When during the call does the thumping occur? Does it happen every time? Have you tried it with speakers on your computer? Has your headset behaved unusually at any other time? With a bit more information you might get a more useful answer.

xXSnowyXx:
I've never run into this issue and I only ever use a headset, though a little more description may help people work out your problem. When during the call does the thumping occur? Does it happen every time? Have you tried it with speakers on your computer? Has your headset behaved unusually at any other time? With a bit more information you might get a more useful answer.

Well, So far it's only occurred when:
- We have a video conversation on skype
- It happens at random times, but when it's started it won't go away until the next day.
- It does not happen everytime
EDIT: - WWe are fairly certain that this is only happening when she is sending me HD video

My mic have had some problems before. When playing some games the one I'm talking with on skype hears some kind of strange noise, they have compared it to a chopper(although I think that might be a slight exaggeration).

I do not have any speakers to test this with, but my girlfriend says that when she uses a headset she hears it but when she uses speaker she doesn't. I would assume that if I were to use speakers I wouldn't hear it.

Hope this helps. A long distance relationship is hard enough without not being able to see you girlfriend.

If you ever have a fan blowing towards you (roof, pedestal, or whatever) it can really make a ruckus on the mic, that may explain that problem if that's the case, but if not there are plenty of other sounds that a mic can pick up surprisingly loudly. As for your main problem, without being familiar with this exact scenario I don't think I can provide any immediate insight. When it happens, try turning down the volume on Skype. If that stops the thunking, then you've narrowed down the source, in which case it's a weird problem with Skype or a sound coming from her end (possibly interference from a cell phone). If that doesn't work, turn down the Windows volume. If it stops there, the sound is coming from another software source. If that still fails, it may be a headset problem, or you may be experiencing some sort of local interference.

xXSnowyXx:
If you ever have a fan blowing towards you (roof, pedestal, or whatever) it can really make a ruckus on the mic, that may explain that problem if that's the case, but if not there are plenty of other sounds that a mic can pick up surprisingly loudly. As for your main problem, without being familiar with this exact scenario I don't think I can provide any immediate insight. When it happens, try turning down the volume on Skype. If that stops the thunking, then you've narrowed down the source, in which case it's a weird problem with Skype or a sound coming from her end (possibly interference from a cell phone). If that doesn't work, turn down the Windows volume. If it stops there, the sound is coming from another software source. If that still fails, it may be a headset problem, or you may be experiencing some sort of local interference.

I'll try that tomorrow, now it's sleepy time

poor shielding of the output jack could cause feedback
try connecting the headset to the rear port if it's an option

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked