Yes
75% (3)
75% (3)
No
25% (1)
25% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Custom Computer Advice.

I wanted to see what you escapists thought of my future build, mind that money is not an issue here. Do you like the build or not?

Seems like a solid build. I would add an SSD as a boot drive though. And maybe look at getting a bigger HDD, 600GB will fill up faster than you might think. Go for 1TB at least.

ninonybox360:
I wanted to see what you escapists thought of my future build, mind that money is not an issue here. Do you like the build or not?

I have a few questions. First, why the i7? An i5-2500k will get the job done just fine and is cheaper. You may want to invest in a bigger hard drive. Seriously. And do you need a CD/DVD drive? If you're installing Windows, there's a Microsoft tool that will let you install Windows off of a USB drive. Right here is the download: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Other than that, good build. Hope I helped. :-)

ninonybox360:

I say keep the optical drive. You never know when you'll run across a disc or need to use a disc to install/transfer something, old games and such. Unless you want the drive bay for fans or something. It's not like we're talking 1.4 MB floppies.

And if money is no object, can I recommend some Ergotron monitor arms? Even the lowest end Neo-Flex is great at around $65. I need the desk space, so I have two LX models, but the cheapo Neo-Flex is one piece, so it can be mounted upside down. Crazy. I use them for my two 24" HDTV monitors and the swivel action lets me read PDF and comics in their native, vertical format.

I have made some adjustments to my build.

I have to agree with thesilentman about the processor. For gaming, an i7 really is overkill, as games are usually far more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. I get that money is no object, but that doesn't mean that there's any reason to waste money on something that you will see very little, if any benefit from. Of course, if you're planning on using this for 3D rendering or some other CPU intensive thing, ignore this advice.

Also, I would avoid the SSD. After having one crap out on me in less than a year (a not too uncommon experience), I cannot in good conscience recommend one. Sure, the boot times may be nice, but I don't think they're worth it. Somebody may give you a perfectly valid reason to get one, but I'm giving my recommendation based on my experience.

Other than that, there aren't really any issues that I see with the build.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked