New 2TB hard drive. Which to format MBR or GPT?

So I finally got a bit of revenue and decided to treat myself by empowering myself to organize all the hard drives to actually have each hard drive fulfill a dedicated role. I am basically going to be moving my media and backup files to the new 2TB hard drive.

However, I really am torn now on how to format the bloody thing. All 4 of my other hard drives are MBR but have never been over even 1 TB. But this new hard drive when formatted will be 1.8 TB. But I just don't know which way to go on this.

So, any ideas?

Tenmar:
So I finally got a bit of revenue and decided to treat myself by empowering myself to organize all the hard drives to actually have each hard drive fulfill a dedicated role. I am basically going to be moving my media and backup files to the new 2TB hard drive.

However, I really am torn now on how to format the bloody thing. All 4 of my other hard drives are MBR but have never been over even 1 TB. But this new hard drive when formatted will be 1.8 TB. But I just don't know which way to go on this.

So, any ideas?

Why MBR or GPT? They're only there if you're going to boot OSes off of that drive. I think you mean a filesystem and I'd recommend FAT32 because it supports every OS that runs on a processor.

thesilentman:

Tenmar:

So, any ideas?

Why MBR or GPT? They're only there if you're going to boot OSes off of that drive. I think you mean a filesystem and I'd recommend FAT32 because it supports every OS that runs on a processor.

FAT32 isn't a good hdd filesystem for most users since it doesn't allow files to be larger than 4gb.

OT: My Windows partition is NTFS and my Linux partitions are ext3.

bananafishtoday:

thesilentman:

Tenmar:

So, any ideas?

FAT32 isn't a good hdd filesystem for most users since it doesn't allow files to be larger than 4gb.

OT: My Windows partition is NTFS and my Linux partitions are ext3.

The reason that I was skeptical was that the OP asked whether he should use MBR or GPT. Thing is, they're both for when the computer boots, not as a standard filesystem.

Well, now I know why I can't hold files more than 4 GB on my flash drive...

You're okay with either one on a 2TB drive. When you get to drives larger than 2.2TB though, you have to use GPT, as MBR can't address more than 2.2TB.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked