Graphic Card Troubles.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Still having them.
Basically, I bought a Radeon HD 7750 and installed it properly. The computer boots and I installed the drivers from the CD I got with it. Then, after rebooting, the computer refuses to restart.
So I take out the card, insert the old card, and the computer boots. I swipe all old drives, and try booting with new cards, but nothing happens. So I do a complete System Restore. Insert new card, computer boots. Take the drivers from AMD website instead, and being installing. Midway through install, computer tries to reboot..And doesn't reboot. The fuck?
So I take the card over to a friends house, and install it there, and his computer boots. We install the bullshit drivers from the CD, and his computer still boots.
Why?

I have enough power (600W) to run it, and I do not understand why this would happen. My system runs on Windows 8 (because that's what it shipped with, don't give me any lip about it, please), but it says right on the AMD website that the Radeon 7750 is Win 8 compatible.
Help?

Your old card wasn't nVidia, was it? If so, you'll be wanting to uninstall those drivers while the old card is installed before doing all the other stuff.

Realitycrash:
Still having them.
Basically, I bought a Radeon HD 7750 and installed it properly. The computer boots and I installed the drivers from the CD I got with it. Then, after rebooting, the computer refuses to restart.
So I take out the card, insert the old card, and the computer boots. I swipe all old drives, and try booting with new cards, but nothing happens. So I do a complete System Restore. Insert new card, computer boots. Take the drivers from AMD website instead, and being installing. Midway through install, computer tries to reboot..And doesn't reboot. The fuck?
So I take the card over to a friends house, and install it there, and his computer boots. We install the bullshit drivers from the CD, and his computer still boots.
Why?

I have enough power (600W) to run it, and I do not understand why this would happen. My system runs on Windows 8 (because that's what it shipped with, don't give me any lip about it, please), but it says right on the AMD website that the Radeon 7750 is Win 8 compatible.
Help?

Your motherboard have a PCI Express 3.0 slot? AMD's website says a 7750 needs that kind of slot. 2.0 won't cut it.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:
Still having them.
Why?

Help?

Your motherboard have a PCI Express 3.0 slot? AMD's website says a 7750 needs that kind of slot. 2.0 won't cut it.

No idea. How do I check? Also: Doesn't explain why it works properly before drivers are installed.

RhombusHatesYou:
Your old card wasn't nVidia, was it? If so, you'll be wanting to uninstall those drivers while the old card is installed before doing all the other stuff.

Nope.

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:
Still having them.
Why?

Help?

No idea. How do I check? Also: Doesn't explain why it works properly before drivers are installed.

RhombusHatesYou:

Nope.

Check your motherboard model on the Internet and see what kind of expansion slot it has.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

RhombusHatesYou:

Nope.

Check your motherboard model on the Internet and see what kind of expansion slot it has.

And how would I know which model I have, since I haven't built my computer myself?

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

And how would I know which model I have, since I haven't built my computer myself?

If it is pre-built, just Google the make and model number like "HP 420 XD" If someone built it for you, it would probably be easiest to just look for the make and model of the motherboard by opening the computer case.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

If it is pre-built, just Google the make and model number like "HP 420 XD" If someone built it for you, it would probably be easiest to just look for the make and model of the motherboard by opening the computer case.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8H61M/

Says so right on the motherboard. Also says "3.0" in large digits right above the PCI-port..

Realitycrash:

I have enough power (600W) to run it

I hate to ask but what are the amps on the 12v?

mad825:

Realitycrash:

I have enough power (600W) to run it

I hate to ask but what are the amps on the 12v?

http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600.html

46A, if I am reading the box correctly.
And the computer boots just fine when the drivers aren't installed, and when using another graphics-card. It just won't give me a screen-display when the drivers are installed.

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

Says so right on the motherboard. Also says "3.0" in large digits right above the PCI-port..

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16

Says the website you linked. So there's your problem. You either have to return the video card and get another one that has PCIe 2.0, or buy a new motherboard with PCIe 3.0.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16

Says the website you linked. So there's your problem. You either have to return the video card and get another one that has PCIe 2.0, or buy a new motherboard with PCIe 3.0.

Unsure if that is the correct motherboard, though. The full number of the board is P8H61-M LX2/CM6731-8/DP_MB and it does say 3.0 over the PCI port.
But I couldn't find any link for the full descriptive name (also, the imagine of said Motherboard doesn't match the one I have)

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16

Unsure if that is the correct motherboard, though. The full number of the board is P8H61-M LX2/CM6731-8/DP_MB and it does say 3.0 over the PCI port.
But I couldn't find any link for the full descriptive name (also, the imagine of said Motherboard doesn't match the one I have)

I see this "REV 3.0" all over the website you linked me. I'm guessing that's it. But check the details of your motherboard and picture of the one you found to see if they're the same.

Edit: I see PCIe 2.0 written just above of the CPU.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

I see this "REV 3.0" all over the website you linked me. I'm guessing that's it. But check the details of your motherboard and picture of the one you found to see if they're the same.

Edit: I see PCIe 2.0 written just above of the CPU.

My motherboard, took a picture and uploaded it just for you ^^

A Satanic Panda:

Think or do your research before you write stuff like that. All PCI Express cards are fully backwards-forwards compatible.

O.T. It sounds like a software problem. What I would do is a complete uninstall of old and new drivers and try to install again the drivers from the CD provided. Worst case scenario might be a Windows 8 bug. Also make sure you 've got the correct drivers depending on your version of windows (32 or 64 bits)

Realitycrash:

:3

Huh, back to square one then.

Try installing AMD's latest drivers from their site:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

With the drivers installed does it beep when you turn it on? When you install the new drivers plug your monitor into the other display port to see if anything comes up. Check you BIOS when you put your new card in, just mash delete when you start the computer. Look for something like "Default Display Port" and see if it set to PCIe 3.0. If it set to the internal display driver, then that would be the problem, though I don't know why it would just up and change itself like that.

If that's a dead end, create a partition on your hard disk, and install a clean copy of Windows 8 on it. If it still crashes it might be a Windows 8 problem, then try 7. If that still doesn't work then it's definitely a hardware problem or AMD's own driver problem.

AWAR:

A Satanic Panda:

Think or do your research before you write stuff like that. All PCI Express cards are fully backwards compatible.

Backwards compatibly only works in one direction, backwards. 1 and 2s will work on a 3, but 3s will not work on a 1 or 2. 3.0 has the highest data saturation of the 3 kinds. So when that 3.0 card dumps more data on a 2.0 slot then it can handle, then it just curls up and cries.

A Satanic Panda:

AWAR:

A Satanic Panda:

Think or do your research before you write stuff like that. All PCI Express cards are fully backwards compatible.

Backwards compatibly only works in one direction, backwards. 1 and 2s will work on a 3, but 3s will not work on a 1 or 2. 3.0 has the highest data saturation of the 3 kinds. So when that 3.0 card dumps more data on a 2.o slot then it can handle, then it just curls up and cries.

3.0 GPUs will work on 2.0 and even 1.0. Do your research please.

AWAR:

A Satanic Panda:

AWAR:

Backwards compatibly only works in one direction, backwards. 1 and 2s will work on a 3, but 3s will not work on a 1 or 2. 3.0 has the highest data saturation of the 3 kinds. So when that 3.0 card dumps more data on a 2.o slot then it can handle, then it just curls up and cries.

3.0 GPUs will work on 2.0 and even 1.0. Do your research please.

Huh, I stand corrected. Why would they even go to 3.0 if they haven't even saturated 2.0?

A Satanic Panda:

Huh, I stand corrected. Why would they even go to 3.0 if they haven't even saturated 2.0?

Because, money.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

With the drivers installed does it beep when you turn it on? When you install the new drivers plug your monitor into the other display port to see if anything comes up. Check you BIOS when you put your new card in, just mash delete when you start the computer. Look for something like "Default Display Port" and see if it set to PCIe 3.0. If it set to the internal display driver, then that would be the problem, though I don't know why it would just up and change itself like that.

If that's a dead end, create a partition on your hard disk, and install a clean copy of Windows 8 on it. If it still crashes it might be a Windows 8 problem, then try 7. If that still doesn't work then it's definitely a hardware problem or AMD's own driver problem.

Okey, so I plugged in my old card, and it booted. On launch it tells me what the computer had encountered an error and crashed. I get suspicious, I launch the Cataclysm (that's what AMD calls their driver-downloader) program again, and complete the installation of the drivers, without my 7750 installed. This time, it doesn't crash. So I once again turn off the computer, install the 7750 and boot the computer..And this time, it actually boots.
Which is great. I can now boot the computer with the card installed, and drivers installed. Now I just need to test the damn thing to see if it is working properly or is just pretending.
Do you know a website that lets you test your graphic-card? Otherwise I'll have to wait an hour or so to download a high-end game from Steam.

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

Okey, so I plugged in my old card, and it booted. On launch it tells me what the computer had encountered an error and crashed. I get suspicious, I launch the Cataclysm (that's what AMD calls their driver-downloader) program again, and complete the installation of the drivers, without my 7750 installed. This time, it doesn't crash. So I once again turn off the computer, install the 7750 and boot the computer..And this time, it actually boots.
Which is great. I can now boot the computer with the card installed, and drivers installed. Now I just need to test the damn thing to see if it is working properly or is just pretending.
Do you know a website that lets you test your graphic-card? Otherwise I'll have to wait an hour or so to download a high-end game from Steam.

MSI Afterburner and Kombustor. Kombustor is a benchmarking program for GPUs. It's included in the Afterburner install, which is an overclocking utility.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

MSI Afterburner and Kombustor. Kombustor is a benchmarking program for GPUs. It's included in the Afterburner install, which is an overclocking utility.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

No idea how overclocking actually works, but I'll try Kombustor, thanks. And thanks for all the help.

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

No idea how overclocking actually works, but I'll try Kombustor, thanks. And thanks for all the help.

Though it's not recommended, if you want a slight performance boost just more the sliders to a high number. It also has stuff like screen capture and performance/temperature monitoring.

You sir are very very welcome :3

Happy Trails!

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

Though it's not recommended, if you want a slight performance boost just more the sliders to a high number. It also has stuff like screen capture and performance/temperature monitoring.

Happy Trails!

Card seems to be working well. Cheers!

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

Happy Trails!

..And it's broken again. I am furious.
I restart my computer, and the fucking screen once again refuses to show a screen. I don't even get a fucking BIOS-scren, I get NOTHING AT ALL. Just as before. So last time I installed the drivers and booted, and I get a screen and everything works. I tested the card and even played a game. It works.
Now, it's the SAME FUCKING ISSUE. For fuck sake at least stay consistent, goddamn fucking piece of shit computer..Argh.

/Rage.

Sigh. So it's probably a software issue? I don't know. I can't even get a screen while booting, unless I take out the 7750..

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

Happy Trails!

I restart my computer, and the fucking screen once again refuses to show a screen. I don't even get a fucking BIOS-scren, I get NOTHING AT ALL. Just as before. So last time I installed the drivers and booted, and I get a screen and everything works. I tested the card and even played a game. It works.
Now, it's the SAME FUCKING ISSUE. For fuck sake at least stay consistent, goddamn fucking piece of shit computer..Argh.

/Rage.

Sigh. So it's probably a software issue? I don't know. I can't even get a screen while booting, unless I take out the 7750..

You got that second video port on your PC right? The one built right into the motherboard? Try using that. You may have to go into the BIOS with your other card to set it up first, but you might not have to. If you can set up 2 monitors one for the boards adapter and one for the 7750. Otherwise this sounds like AMD's own driver issue.

Though to be safe you could try and test a clean version of Windows on a partitioned disk.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Happy Trails!

/Rage.

You got that second video port on your PC right? The one built right into the motherboard? Try using that. You may have to go into the BIOS with your other card to set it up first, but you might not have to. If you can set up 2 monitors one for the boards adapter and one for the 7750. Otherwise this sounds like AMD's own driver issue.

Though to be safe you could try and test a clean version of Windows on a partitioned disk.

I got it started again by rebooting a few times..Really unsure how. I did open the case and fiddle with the card, trying to see if it had become unseated. This might be it..Though I have no idea why, since I haven't physically touched the computer since last night, when it worked fine.

Unsure where the videoport in my motherboard is located, honestly.
And what am I supposed to look at in BIOS?
What annoys me is that it's working right now. But without a doubt, if I restart my computer, it won't..

Edit: Also, upon gaming, it reaches 105C. Wtf? Alright, I got it on highest possible settings, but it RUNS just fine. Should I lower the settings, or what?

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

I got it started again by rebooting a few times..Really unsure how. I did open the case and fiddle with the card, trying to see if it had become unseated. This might be it..Though I have no idea why, since I haven't physically touched the computer since last night, when it worked fine.

What annoys me is that it's working right now. But without a doubt, if I restart my computer, it won't..

Whens the last time you dusted out your computer? Unlikely but it might just be some dust.

Assuming your motherboard is smiler to the one you linked earlier, it would be those 2 biggest ports in the middle there and that small upside down trapezoid 2nd port from the left.

I'm not exactly sure where specifically, but probably in advanced settings, PCI settings, and something like "Default Video Adapter" or something.

Also after researching this a little, I found out that the 7000 series drivers on some occurrences have problems with HDMI 1.4. If you haven't already you can try and use a DVI port.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

Whens the last time you dusted out your computer? Unlikely but it might just be some dust.

Assuming your motherboard is smiler to the one you linked earlier, it would be those 2 biggest ports in the middle there and that small upside down trapezoid 2nd port from the left.

I'm not exactly sure where specifically, but probably in advanced settings, PCI settings, and something like "Default Video Adapter" or something.

Also after researching this a little, I found out that the 7000 series drivers on some occurrences have problems with HDMI 1.4. If you haven't already you can try and use a DVI port.

The computer is About 20 days old. There is zero dust in there. The casing is even open. I lowered the settings, and it still runs on damn 90C. What the hell?

I think I found the videoport, or something which looks like I might be able to plug my monitor into it anyway.
Uh..What's the DVI port?

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

The computer is About 20 days old. There is zero dust in there. The casing is even open. I lowered the settings, and it still runs on damn 90C. What the hell?

I think I found the videoport, or something which looks like I might be able to plug my monitor into it anyway.
Uh..What's the DVI port?

90 FUCKING DEGREES?

That's a problem. On the processor? You probably have the heat sink mounted incorrectly or the thermal paste dun goofed.

If it's on the graphics card you'll probably have to ship it out for a new one. They shouldn't be doing that.

Anyway the DVI port that big white port in the picture above with all the square holes. There should be one on your card. The HDMI is the small black trapezoid one.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Uh..What's the DVI port?

90 FUCKING DEGREES?

That's a problem. On the processor? You probably have the heat sink mounted incorrectly or the thermal paste dun goofed.

If it's on the graphics card you'll probably have to ship it out for a new one. They shouldn't be doing that.

Anyway the DVI port that big white port in the picture above with all the square holes. There should be one on your card. The HDMI is the small black trapezoid one.

Back to 100C now. Yes, I am running a game on Ultra (Shogun 2) but it runs flawlessly. No stutters, no nothing. You think that a graphic-card would protest a bit to indicate that 'hey, run me at a lower setting, this is too much'? I wouldn't even know that it was this hot if I didn't have Kombustor running on the background. I grounded myself and touched the heatsink of the Card and damn-near burned myself.
No, the processor is fine. It's the Graphics Card that is heating up. It's funny, because one of the main selling-points is how cool it keeps.

http://shop.amd.com/us/Manufacturer/Asus/Detail/GraphicCard/HD7750-DCSL-1GD5#Reviews
Take a look, please.

Yeah, I got a DVI port on the mothercard, I think.

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

Back to 100C now. Yes, I am running a game on Ultra (Shogun 2) but it runs flawlessly. No stutters, no nothing. You think that a graphic-card would protest a bit to indicate that 'hey, run me at a lower setting, this is too much'? I wouldn't even know that it was this hot if I didn't have Kombustor running on the background. I grounded myself and touched the heatsink of the Card and damn-near burned myself.
No, the processor is fine. It's the Graphics Card that is heating up. It's funny, because one of the main selling-points is how cool it keeps.

In MSI Afterburner, find the fan control at just lock it at 100%

After looking around the AMD forums they say 100C is acceptable for the 7000 series. (I say that temperature is ludicrous, you could boil water) And that 105C triggers a shutdown.

Anyway, next time your card blacks out try and use the DVI port on the card and on the motherboard.

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:
snip

After looking around the AMD forums they say 100C is acceptable for the 7000 series. (I say that temperature is ludicrous, you could boil water) And that 105C triggers a shutdown.

Anyway, next time your card blacks out try and use the DVI port on the card and on the motherboard.

The card doesn't have a fan, so I guess you mean the CPU-fan?
And even if it is 'acceptable', should it really run this hot? Really? Or is the card flawed? Because a graphics-card doesn't require thermal-paste, right?

Okey, if it blacks out again (which it probably will), I can use the DVI-port and get into BIOS..And I should look at what..? What could possibly be changed? I mean especially since it boots at times, and other times it does not..

Realitycrash:

A Satanic Panda:

Realitycrash:

The card doesn't have a fan, so I guess you mean the CPU-fan?
And even if it is 'acceptable', should it really run this hot? Really? Or is the card flawed? Because a graphics-card doesn't require thermal-paste, right?

Okey, if it blacks out again (which it probably will), I can use the DVI-port and get into BIOS..And I should look at what..? What could possibly be changed? I mean especially since it boots at times, and other times it does not..

I'd contact ASUS on the issue, but it doesn't have a fan, (and it really should) so I guess it's "ok" to a degree. If I were you though I'd return it and get one with a fan.

Try the DVI port on the card first. If that works consistently then problem solved! If you have to use the boards port then look around for PCI Settings and Default Video Adapter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here