New Laptop: Better Graphics card or better processor?

So I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, and willing to spend around 700 for it. My current is an Intel i3 6 GB with Nividia 315, so that amount of money should get me a good upgrade.

I've found 2 that look very tempting:

The first is this:
http://www.bhsdirect.co.uk/BH_ASUS_Notebook_10068497/version.asp

Price: 589
Tech stats:

Screen size - 15.6in - 1366 x 768
Processor - i7-3610QM Intel Core i7 3610QM - 2.3
RAM - 6GB
Hard Drive - 750GB
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Graphics - Intel,NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M
Graphics Memory - 2048 MB GDDR3

And the second here:
http://www.bhsdirect.co.uk/BH_Samsung_Notebook_10068352/version.asp

Price: 712
Tech stats:

Screen size - 15.6in - 1366 x 768
Processor - Intel Core i5 3210M - 2.5
RAM - 8GB
Hard Drive - 1TB
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Graphics - Intel,NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Graphics Memory - GDDR3

They are pretty similar in function, the only major difference I can see is that the processors (i7 vs. i5) and the graphics card (610 vs 650) and RAM (6 vs. 8)

So my question is how much difference in performance will I get from a weaker processor vs. a weaker graphics card: how much of a difference is there between an i5/7 and a 615/650 Is the RAM difference important,
and is the extra power in the graphics card and RAM worth the 120?

P.S. if anyone has better deals than these laptops that would also be awesome to know; has to ship to U.K.
Thanks a buncharooni!

Disclaimer: I don't know much about lower-end laptops, or what's a good price for a laptop in the UK. There probably is a better laptop in your price range, but I would have absolutely no idea what it is or where to find it, so I'm just going to compare the two shown.

The first question is what do you plan on using this for? If you're planning on using this for web browsing, word processing, and some light gaming, then there's very little reason to spend more than you have to. If this is your situation, go with the first one.

However, if you plan on running newer, somewhat system intesive games, then go for the second one, without question. Graphics card is almost always more important than processor in regards to gaming, and the 650M is far, far better than the 610M.

I'd be using it to play games, nothing too intensive: Skyrim, Battlefield and the like, but I want it to last for 4 or 5 years, and if anything new tickles my fancy in that time it would be nice to be able to play it comfortably on my laptop.
(Star Citizen, for example.)

I'll add one more question, I've been seeing a lot of different types of graphics memory (DDR..) in the specs. Some laptops have the regular DDR3, some have GDDR3 some have DDR3 SRAM one has 2048 MB DDR3. What is the difference here and does it really matter?

Go with the second one. Having the better GPU is the better option. The CPU in the second one is quite good anyway

Hero in a half shell:

I'll add one more question, I've been seeing a lot of different types of graphics memory (DDR..) in the specs. Some laptops have the regular DDR3, some have GDDR3 some have DDR3 SRAM one has 2048 MB DDR3. What is the difference here and does it really matter?

Doesn't matter.

Hero in a half shell:
I'd be using it to play games, nothing too intensive: Skyrim, Battlefield and the like, but I want it to last for 4 or 5 years, and if anything new tickles my fancy in that time it would be nice to be able to play it comfortably on my laptop.
(Star Citizen, for example.)

If you're going to game, take the second. I'd still recommend the send as however awesome an i7 is, it's a bad battery hog, and the CPU is fine anyway, as Shiny Charizard pointed out.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked