Xbox Hardware Issues. Who'd have guessed?

Not entirely sure this belongs here but oh well.

The Xbox 360 hardware issues are well documented in the many horror stories of it R.R.D-ing early on. However, my four year old 360 has managed to avoid that. Instead, the disc tray has decided to die instead (more specifically, the motor that moves the laser has stopped working properly and no longer resets to the correct position preventing me from playing a disc). So, naturally, rather than buy a new 360, I would prefer just to replace the disc tray or better yet, fix the motor.

So, first question, is it possible for me to fix the motor with a low chance of breaking the disc tray beyond repair?

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations about where or who to buy a disc tray from to replace my old one? (It is a 360 elite purchased at the time Woolworths went into administration if that helps somehow)

I wouldn't try to replace the motor, I don't think you'll get anywhere on that route. If you want to replace your disk drive you can identify which one you have here: http://hardandsoftgaming.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/replacing-a-faulty-xbox-360-dvd-drive-firmware-flash-or-circuit-board-transplant/
You'll have to get a replacement identical to the one you take out, I'd probably look on eBay for one. Though since your motherboard is tied to the original disk drive there will be some faffing about to get it to recognise the replacement.

xXSnowyXx:
I wouldn't try to replace the motor, I don't think you'll get anywhere on that route. If you want to replace your disk drive you can identify which one you have here: http://hardandsoftgaming.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/replacing-a-faulty-xbox-360-dvd-drive-firmware-flash-or-circuit-board-transplant/
You'll have to get a replacement identical to the one you take out, I'd probably look on eBay for one. Though since your motherboard is tied to the original disk drive there will be some faffing about to get it to recognise the replacement.

Thanks for the info :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked