How to check if my PSU is usable? Installing case fans?

Hello,

IGNORE THIS INTRO FOR TLDR VERSION:
About 1 year and a half ago, I bought a new gaming PC, pretty midend, good VGA card, it works well and it was prebuilt (by the PC shop, not an HP or anything). Building it on my own would have saved me around 20-30 euros, so who cares.

Anyways, it had a crappy 400W PSU, which works fine so far, but it didn't come with any case fans, only GFX+CPU fans, so I recently installed and old fan from my old gaming PC, and my VGA temps dropped almost 15c idle, and 7-10c when working.

Now, 400W is enough, but I wish to install 4 fans: 1 front, 1 back, 2 side (1 of which is probably meant to be a CPU fan).

TLDR VERSION
1. Old PC began dying, PSU was shit, got a new one (550W).
2. Old PC died anyways.
3. Bought a new PC, it only had a 400W PSU.
4. New PC came with stock CPU fan and no case fans, I wish to change that.
5. Can I change the 400W PSU with the 550W PSU that wasn't used and is fairly new?
6. Do I risk anything by changing the PSU? Can it short circuit the mobo or something?

Can I give it to some tech savvy person to check if it's working?

There isn't any risk outside of physically damaging components during the transition (so, no more than any other internal hardware swap) - the 550w power supply carries all the same voltages and isn't going to asplode your computer. Just follow all the basic procedures (you know, like unplug everything before you start yanking stuff out, don't scrape your screwdriver over any circuit boards, keep yourself grounded or ground yourself often, don't force anything - there's probably a clip somewhere, don't put your hard drive in the dishwasher, etc) - that way everything will be fine.

xXSnowyXx:
There isn't any risk outside of physically damaging components during the transition (so, no more than any other internal hardware swap) - the 550w power supply carries all the same voltages and isn't going to asplode your computer. Just follow all the basic procedures (you know, like unplug everything before you start yanking stuff out, don't scrape your screwdriver over any circuit boards, keep yourself grounded or ground yourself often, don't force anything - there's probably a clip somewhere, don't put your hard drive in the dishwasher, etc) - that way everything will be fine.

This. There is no risk of destroying your computer. Unless you break it yourself while changing the PSU of course.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked