Not sure which story to write?

Alright so this is a little weird but I'll try to explain it as best I can.

I love creating fictional universes, sci fi ones, fantasy, whatever. And recently decided to start writing a story from my favorite sci fi one, but here's the thing, I'm not so sure which story I want to tell.

See I have the story of a super soldier girl and how she's raised and trained and everything she goes through as a state-sanctioned killing machine, both mentally and physically. This story is sort of a character bio story. There would also by simultaneous story threads involving a doctor who's part of the super soldier project as well as a fleet admiral who's trying to come to terms with approving said project.

On the other hand I have a story set in the same universe where the same character is there but it starts much later when shes and adult and follows a more "normal" group of soldiers and what not through the universe as they uncover a bunch of conspiracies and blah blah blah.

The thing is I'm not sure which story to tell, I personally want to tell both stories but on one side I think the character bio story would be to revealing and perhaps to formulaic (not that the other one isn't but still).

Yet the other story is a good one but I don't quite have as strong an emotional attachment to it as a writer as I do the first story.

So what do you think I should do? What seems like a better story to tell?

Sorry if this was a confusing read I'm a bit tired. Thanks for the advice if you give any.

TL;DR: Should I write a story about a super soldier growing up as a super soldier or a more general "band of misfits on a space adventure" story?

I'm no writer (although I really should give it a shot one of these days), but what I would do is start writing one story (flip a coin for which one), and then if you hit writer's block or need something fresh, start writing the other one. This probably wouldn't work if you like focusing on one project at a time, but if you think you can take on both at once, by all means give it a shot.

I think you should write both and see where they take you. Even if you never find a way to make them both work at the same time canonically, it will at least be good practice and will help you gain an even deeper understanding of the character.

If stuck, write them chronologically. OR, figure out which one begs harder. Or let a coin/dice decide.

ohnoitsabear:
-snip-

You should write! It's really good for relaxing and thinking, plus the world doesn't have enough writers.

Thanks for the advice also.

Lilani:
-snip-

Despite two people telling me this in one thread it somehow never occurred to me, that makes me feel stupid.

Thanks for the advice!

Daniel Ferguson:
-snip-

Guess that makes sense, thanks :D

Saviordd1:
The thing is I'm not sure which story to tell, I personally want to tell both stories...

You know I always thought I was the only one who had that problem. XD
The suggestion the other already gave is the best I've used in the past, either coin toss or both at once until I decided on which I wanted to finish. When I write both at once it comes down to either setting one aside to finish a little later on, or trying to decide which I want to finish then do a sequel/prequel after (depending on which I did first ya know?).
Anyway good luck on your writing, and thanks for reminding me I need to finish all those stories I left half finished(to many ideas not enough time ya know? XD).

Alex Graves:

Saviordd1:
The thing is I'm not sure which story to tell, I personally want to tell both stories...

You know I always thought I was the only one who had that problem. XD
The suggestion the other already gave is the best I've used in the past, either coin toss or both at once until I decided on which I wanted to finish. When I write both at once it comes down to either setting one aside to finish a little later on, or trying to decide which I want to finish then do a sequel/prequel after (depending on which I did first ya know?).
Anyway good luck on your writing, and thanks for reminding me I need to finish all those stories I left half finished(to many ideas not enough time ya know? XD).

Thanks, you too!

Why don't you try and combine both of story's together take you favourite ideas out of both.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked