Tech Nerds - I Need PC Help

i know enough about pcs to get by usually but ive been having a technical problem lately and cant figure it out. whenever i install a steam game, i lose my internet connection and i have to disconnect and then reconnect in order to regain my connection. this only ever happens when installing a steam game so it isnt a huge deal, its just annoying because it means i can only install one game at a time and when that game is downloading, i have to babysit it to make sure i dont lose my connection partway through. does anyone know why i would lose my connection only when installing steam games and more important, how to fix it?

thank you so much for your help

00slash00:
i know enough about pcs to get by usually but ive been having a technical problem lately and cant figure it out. whenever i install a steam game, i lose my internet connection and i have to disconnect and then reconnect in order to regain my connection. this only ever happens when installing a steam game so it isnt a huge deal, its just annoying because it means i can only install one game at a time and when that game is downloading, i have to babysit it to make sure i dont lose my connection partway through. does anyone know why i would lose my connection only when installing steam games and more important, how to fix it?

thank you so much for your help

Here you go:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/538-Advice-Forum

And in order to avoud low content:
Yeah, no idea, maybe ask steam for help?

And for the love of god, start using your shift-key.

I agree with Calibanbutcher, give the poor advice forum some love!

But anyway, many moons ago I had a Belkin router that would disconnect my computer from the internet while using P2P or doing heavy downloading.
The other computer/laptops would still be connected to the net and the affected machine would still be able to see the other systems on the network, but I'd need to disable the port and re-enable it on the affected machine (or I could unplug the cable, but that'd mean having to get out the chair) to see the internet again and continue the downloads.
Needless to say it was very annoying.

I suspect it was either the router couldn't handle the traffic associated with the P2P downloads or the size of the downloads, or the router thought something suspicious was going on and decided to protect the target machine.
I never figured it out as I changed routers (to the generic ISP issue one) and everything was happy so I never bothered to investigate, but if your situation sounds similar then you might want to try a different router.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked