Windows 7 PC Problem.

I've... done something stupid.

In order to get an .exe file to work, I changed the default program for .exe files to Command Prompt.

I soon learned that this was a bad idea.

Now, everything is opened in command prompt. For example, if I try to open Firefox, a command prompt window comes up with the location of the program file. For example, if I try to open Steam, a command prompt window comes with 'C:\ Program Files <x86>\Steam>'.

Help? Please?

Terratina.:
I've... done something stupid.

In order to get an .exe file to work, I changed the default program for .exe files to Command Prompt.

I soon learned that this was a bad idea.

Now, everything is opened in command prompt. For example, if I try to open Firefox, a command prompt window comes up with the location of the program file. For example, if I try to open Steam, a command prompt window comes with 'C:\ Program Files <x86>\Steam>'.

Help? Please?

Go into Application Defaults (can't remember where) and manually fix the files.

How'd that happen? Normally, if you want to run something in the Command Prompt, just open it, change to the directory where the file is, and run it by typing its name.

Not sure how you managed that...I've seen viruses do it before but afaik it's not that simple for a normal user to change (I didn't even know it was possible without messing with the registry or something, there's no shortcut in .exe file properties to change associations for a reason). Regardless, solution here. You may be able to restore it using Default Programs in the Control Panel but I'm not sure there's something you can change it back to (default should have no association I believe).

Thanks, all is well now :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked