Quick question about moving a hard drive

So I'm getting a new computer and I want to move my old hard drive into the new computer as a second hard drive. This old hard drive has an OS installed on it. I will be getting a new drive and I will be installing a new OS on that one, and just want to use the other OS to move over my files and such.

I'm just wondering if the fact that the old OS has a operating system still on it will be a problem?

You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure you remove the drive with the old OS from the boot list in the BIOS to avoid booting up from it, or if you can't remove it move it right down the list.

Assuming your installing windows, and the old OS is a windows too, you might want to leave the second drive disconnected until you've installed the new OS, the windows installer gets excited when it finds old versions and usually tries to default to overwriting/upgrading, it also prevents wiping the wrong drive by accident.

Also if you have any, make sure you remove any encryption locked to the boot loader first, unlike myself on one occasion.

You may encounter some issues with file permissions when trying to get things out of your user files. Couldn't hurt to make a new folder straight on C:/ and put your stuff there before you transfer the drive to avoid anything like that, otherwise you might end up having to fuck around with file permissions that sometimes don't want to let you change them...can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

TakeyB0y2:
snip

Aitur:
snip

xXSnowyXx:
snip

I love you PC guys, you magnificent bastards. Advice Forum rocks!

Just a quick question. TakeyB0y2 also needs to move the jumper position on the hard drive to 'slave', correct? I could never figure out if that was necessary.

Thanks for the help y'all! I was a bit worried. I didn't want to have to go through all the trouble of having to like, do the whole transfer thing when I can just add the hard drive as a second.

FizzyIzze:

Just a quick question. TakeyB0y2 also needs to move the jumper position on the hard drive to 'slave', correct? I could never figure out if that was necessary.

Thankfully it's not too old of a hard drive and uses SATA, so there's no jumper or any of the master/slave stuff I need to worry about. I'll just Aitur's advice and install the OS to the new drive before putting the old drive into the comp.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked