Wi-Fi connected, but no internet access (Win7)

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but yesterday something went wrong with my PC. After I connect to my home network, it works fine for a couple of seconds, but then, error sign appears on my connection icon and it says "No network access". I've tried to restart both notebook and internal modem, and again, it works for a couple of seconds after restart and then goes off again. Also, as I've figured out, problem is not with connection itself, since I can connect alright with my mobile or Vita. I'll try later to restore system or launch it in safe mod, but until then, any advice?

I'm curious, can you connect to your router using an Ethernet cable and see if things start working then?

My WiFi connection kept dropping every 15 seconds or so, which is annoying to say the least, and I assumed it was my shitty ISP again. Strange thing was the PC that was physically connected to the router and modem was running fine. I stubbornly tried tweaking settings but ultimately I had to just buy a new router. Two and 1/2 years for a WRT54GL seems pretty average unfortunately.

The only problem now is that one of the laptops can't connect, which is specific to that machine because my PC and PS3 are connected fine. The mystery continues.

FizzyIzze:
I'm curious, can you connect to your router using an Ethernet cable and see if things start working then?

My WiFi connection kept dropping every 15 seconds or so, which is annoying to say the least, and I assumed it was my shitty ISP again. Strange thing was the PC that was physically connected to the router and modem was running fine. I stubbornly tried tweaking settings but ultimately I had to just buy a new router. Two and 1/2 years for a WRT54GL seems pretty average unfortunately.

The only problem now is that one of the laptops can't connect, which is specific to that machine because my PC and PS3 are connected fine. The mystery continues.

I'm not sure i'll be able to use cable, since this is dorm network.
See, that's my problem! Everything, but my laptop connects just alright!

IllumInaTIma:

First thing to ask is if the wifi at your dorm password protected.

Next would be to determine if the wireless in your laptop is dying. Do you think you could gain access to a computer lab and ask for help? There has to be at least one active Ethernet drop in a computer lab that you can connect to. You should ensure that your firewall and antivirus programs are up to date. If possible, can you do a complete scan and have the log saved somewhere like on the desktop?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you will be able to connect via Ethernet. I've seen a lot of repairs during the past 3 years (seen, not performed) and I don't think I've ever run across a bad wireless card, but laptops tend to have the most hardware failures.

FizzyIzze:

IllumInaTIma:

First thing to ask is if the wifi at your dorm password protected.

Next would be to determine if the wireless in your laptop is dying. Do you think you could gain access to a computer lab and ask for help? There has to be at least one active Ethernet drop in a computer lab that you can connect to. You should ensure that your firewall and antivirus programs are up to date. If possible, can you do a complete scan and have the log saved somewhere like on the desktop?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you will be able to connect via Ethernet. I've seen a lot of repairs during the past 3 years (seen, not performed) and I don't think I've ever run across a bad wireless card, but laptops tend to have the most hardware failures.

That's a good advice. I'll try connecting other networks from my laptop.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked