I want to grow a beard

So I want to grow a beard, but I have a few questions.

1. The first thing to find out is whether I actually can grow a beard. So I haven't shaved in three weeks ow and my beard is about a cm. ok, so I'm only 17(18 in april) so I might not be able to grow a beard yet.

2. If that is sufficient growth. What do you do when you groom it?

My advice would be:

1st. Pick the type of beard you want.
-This will also depend on where your facial hair grows and sometimes it can be based on your age and testosterone levels, sometimes your cultural background. Personnally I'm 19, I have slightly high testosterone levels for my age bracket, and I have a Ukrainian background, and my facial hair grows like a neck-beard with a faint moustache.

2nd. Pick your length and trim it accordingly.
-Whether you want a just above stubble level, light beard or a merlin's length master-stache. After that just daily or weekly or monthly cut your beard to the desired length with the correct type of grooming tool; it really depends on the type of beard. Tools vary from scissors (that might be more humorous than serious), to electric razor clip-ons.

I don't think I'm missing anything so good luck.

Sounds like you have everything you need! I'm jealous, I can't grow one and I'm 20 -.-

Pretty much what That Annoying Guy said.

Decide what kind of beard you'd like, and see if you can pull it of (growthwise).

I've been sporting different types and lengths of beard since I was 17, and if you keep at it long enough you'll find something with both the look and the maintenance best suited for you.

That Annoying Guy:
My advice would be:

1st. Pick the type of beard you want.
-This will also depend on where your facial hair grows and sometimes it can be based on your age and testosterone levels, sometimes your cultural background. Personnally I'm 19, I have slightly high testosterone levels for my age bracket, and I have a Ukrainian background, and my facial hair grows like a neck-beard with a faint moustache.

2nd. Pick your length and trim it accordingly.
-Whether you want a just above stubble level, light beard or a merlin's length master-stache. After that just daily or weekly or monthly cut your beard to the desired length with the correct type of grooming tool; it really depends on the type of beard. Tools vary from scissors (that might be more humorous than serious), to electric razor clip-ons.

I don't think I'm missing anything so good luck.

Thanks. I'm want to try a goatee.
Unfortunately I'm going to start job hunting this week. So everything I've saved up might have to go :(
but when I have a job and hopefully they don't frown upon beards I will use your advices.

Thickness is more important than length when growing a beard. That's why I've had a small goatee up till now(21). The sides of my face and mustache still grow a little patchy.

If I had a suggestion go with a short goatee, excessive length would not be good for that job your applying for.

It's not always about the length of the beard as it is the thickness and symmetry.

If it's patchy and looks like pubes then just shave it all off and try in a few decades :P

I think you usually need about 6-8wks of growing before you start styling it. Then to avoid having a weak beard on the cheeks, I find that tracing a line from the middle of your ear to the side of your mouth is a good level to trim.

Well, I'm 18 now and had one since I was 17. I shaved it off last Monday to see if I liked it better gone but I didn't and now its completely back. The thing is is I keep it very short, I usually hover around half a centimeter and shave it every 3-4 days (unless I get lazy about it). But if your like me your probably able to grow out a full one eventually. You won't be able to play backup for ZZ top for a while but give it about a month or 2 and you'll have a pretty big beard rocking.

From a female point of view, I dont really appreciate half ass beards.
If it is going to be thin and patchy, you might as well not have one.

Also it seems the shape of your beard depends on how it grows. Let is grow out for a while and see what is really doable.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked