I've been thinking about becoming a Canadian Citizen

American here, I've been thinking about becoming a Canadian Citizen. Any advice or information I might find useful? Thank you.

This is probably a good place to start: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp

Friendly Lich:
American here, I've been thinking about becoming a Canadian Citizen. Any advice or information I might find useful? Thank you.

Where are you in the process so far? How long have you lived in Canada? If you don't, are you married to a Canadian? Or have a Canadian parent or grandparent?

You need to get residence first, then I think once you have been a permanent resident for 3-5 years you can apply for citizenship.

To get residence, unless you're a minority claiming political asylum, you're going to need a degree and at least one year working in a professional job. You can sometimes get in if you have a trade, like mechanic, but it's not going to be easy.

There are also things called Provincial Nomination programs that target the labour shortage areas in the Canadian economy. Canada's birth rate is too low to meet labour demands, so they offer unskilled and semi-skilled workers a chance to get in that way, but again, it's extremely difficult.
Most of the jobs are in hospitality like cleaning or front desk clerk, so if you're willing to do that for a few years then that's a way in if you can find an eligible employer that's willing to do all the paperwork necessary.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked