Wi-Fi losing range

So, lately my notebook was misbehaving, losing connection for no apparent reason and saying "No internet access". The problem I've figured was with my notebook, rather than with my connection because I can connect just ok with my phone or Vita. By now I've figured out that it somehow connected to the wi-fi range. When I move notebook closer to the router it works just fine, yet, it always shows full 5 bars.
Can anyone help me with this?

IllumInaTIma:
snip

The first thing I would do is try changing the channel. Interestingly enough, I was looking up potential wifi interference and had no idea that certain things could interfere, such as:

Cordless phones
Microwave ovens
Baby monitors
Garage door openers

By any chance, are you a student living in a dormitory?

FizzyIzze:

IllumInaTIma:
snip

The first thing I would do is try changing the channel. Interestingly enough, I was looking up potential wifi interference and had no idea that certain things could interfere, such as:

Cordless phones
Microwave ovens
Baby monitors
Garage door openers

By any chance, are you a student living in a dormitory?

Changing channel would imply that problem is with router. By now I'm 100% certain that the problem is with my notebook's internal modem.
I live in house, but I don't have access to router.

IllumInaTIma:

snip

I've been having wifi trouble myself lately. I ended up replacing the router because the signal would drop almost every 5 minutes and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot.

The last time someone here had wifi troubles they were going to replace the modem on their laptop. I think it's an extreme solution (don't know if it worked for them), so I'm going to use this as a guide:

http://www.werockyourweb.com/your-wireless-connection-dropping

If your internal wireless modem is failing it should be possible to replace (even if it's a pain in the ass). Don't be too hasty though...try it with other networks before you attempt replacing it. Just because it's the only device misbehaving doesn't necessarily mean it's not the routers fault...they just might not be playing well together for whatever reason. Perhaps reinstall some drivers and do some factory resets first otherwise you might end up wasting your time and money.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked