I need (an ungodly amount of) advice for my first gaming PC.

So, I've been saving up money to build a decent gaming PC. Seeing as I've almost got enough money to actually afford one, I've decided now is the best time to talk about specific builds. I'm building this from scratch, so I have literally nothing to work with before hand, no keyboard, no mouse, and no monitor. So if anyone could mention any specific cords or cables I may need, that would be wonderful.

Originally, I intended my budget to be around $600, but according to other PC gamers I've spoken with, that probably wouldn't even be able to run Mario 64 at a semi-decent speed (I realize this is a slight exaggeration). So I may bump up my budget to $700 or even $800. I want the most bang for my buck, so if anyone can recommend cost effective builds that can run most modern games at high settings for at least 30 fps, it would be much appreciated.

From what I hear this "build" of mine is mid-range: (Please note I have no clue whether this combination of parts will even work together)

Now, I would not be surprised if this is an incredibly underpowered PC, that is if these things will even work. If anyone can point me to a build that's actually feasible it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: All I'm really looking for in a PC is something that can run Guild Wars 2, TERA, or Battlefield 3 on high settings at a decent speed, that's it.

One thing I want to point out is to not forget about the operating system. That was an annoying addition I found out after getting a new PC last year and tacking that on at the end.

And you didn't list a hard drive. Kind of need one of those =P
I hear solid state is lovely, but not really feasible given your budget.

Also need a power supply. And one thing I forgot when I built mine was an ethernet cable to get Internet. I imagine you'll be wanting that too.

Dijkstra:
One thing I want to point out is to not forget about the operating system. That was an annoying addition I found out after getting a new PC last year and tacking that on at the end.

And you didn't list a hard drive. Kind of need one of those =P
I hear solid state is lovely, but not really feasible given your budget.

Also need a power supply. And one thing I forgot when I built mine was an ethernet cable to get Internet. I imagine you'll be wanting that too.

Alright... So... I checked a few sites, and I think I've come up with a decent gaming PC... Only problem is the fact that my family has constantly used macs means that I have absolutely zero of the components beforehand. So while it may be cheap for some people, that's mostly because they seem to be "upgrading" rather then building their Gaming PC from scratch.

Here's the new build:

I might see about changing the case or even the processor to save money. The more minor bits can be worked out towards the end. I just want to know if this is a good build.

If you are on a budget I would recommend that you go with an AMD CPU instead to save money. Then use that saved money to purchase a better graphics card, either a gtx 660 or HD 7870 would be good.

Witty Name Here:
-

I have strong feelings about the PSU. It's a bit on the weak side and the brand name isn't very reputable. I recommend something like this as a bare minimum for a system like that. There are also some things that you don't need, like a CPU cooler (it comes with the CPU itself), a soundcard (all modern motherboards have integrated sound cards) and the ethernet adapter (same as the sound card). Other than that it's a very decent rig that's going to play any modern game on high.

I would agree with ShinyCharizard on the CPU. You can get the fx-6300 with this motherboard and use the savings on a decent graphics card like a 660, 660ti or HD 7870.

AWAR:

Witty Name Here:
-

I have strong feelings about the PSU. It's a bit on the weak side and the brand name isn't very reputable. I recommend something like this as a bare minimum for a system like that. There are also some things that you don't need, like a CPU cooler (it comes with the CPU itself), a soundcard (all modern motherboards have integrated sound cards) and the ethernet adapter (same as the sound card). Other than that it's a very decent rig that's going to play any modern game on high.

I would agree with ShinyCharizard on the CPU. You can get the fx-6300 with this motherboard and use the savings on a decent graphics card like a 660, 660ti or HD 7870.

Thanks for the advice! I was also told I wont need a memory card reader, so I might cut that out. I'm also thinking about getting a cheaper case but I'm a bit worried because, from what I hear, the case is very important when it comes to what parts you're using (either they wont fit or the case is "incompatible") Also, I definitely plan on upgrading the Power supply

Witty Name Here:
-

Cases are not very complicated in terms of compatibility, the main concern being video card length in very high end cards. I think the case you picked is just fine, if you really want to save money though, you can get this case and power supply combo from Coolermaster.

AWAR:

Witty Name Here:
-

Cases are not very complicated in terms of compatibility, the main concern being video card length in very high end cards. I think the case you picked is just fine, if you really want to save money though, you can get this case and power supply combo from Coolermaster.

I just want to say thank you so much for all the help. Most of the people I've talked with have been kind of... Dickish about this issue.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I really need a "memory card reader" or is it just one of those things that comes along with the motherboard (or is completely pointless).

Witty Name Here:
-

You are welcome. I'm happy to give out advice, after all this is an advice forum ;).
About the card reader, no it doesn't come with the motherboard. IMO unless you regularly use memory cards to store your files it will just sit there collecting dust.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked