A terrifying assertion.

I'm a self-proud lightweight. Past 3 drinks and I begin freaking out. I'm currently on my 6th 8% chu-hi and whenever I close my eyes I get sensations of my body moving out of my control.

What should I do to prevent this in the future? (Besides not drinking, which I plan to do anyway)

Keep moving, or at least don't sit/lie down. I can hold my liquor a lot better if I'm standing/dancing/jumping. Though that might be just me...

Drink a glass of water for every drink you have, too. That usually helps quite a bit.

Also... food. Eat lots.

Captcha: Halcyon days. ... Hah.

You'll be fine. Drinking something with sugar or salt should help.

Have a big meal before you drink. Also eat snacks while you drink. If you have spirits that go well with milk, have them with milk. Drink lots of water alongside it. Have mixers with your drink.

Basically, fill your stomach with stuff so it takes longer for the alcohol to get through.

And don't forget, even if you're having a night when you feel like you'd like to drink but don't want to get drunk so fast, you can alternate with non-alcoholic drinks. Have a cola every second drink, for example.

There's only one real way to get used to booze. Drink more of it. The more you drink it the more your body and brain gets used to it and the more you can drink in the future. Not that I recommend binge drinking or anything... I personally have about a glass of whisky a night. Maybe a double every now and then. And after about a year I started noticing that I wasn't getting tipsy any more from even a double. So yea...

Until then, pacing is important. In between drinks, eat something. Wheat products like bread and crackers work wonders. Water, for me at least, doesn't work. It helps with the hangover the next day but not with slowing my tipsyness and drunkness down.

And most importantly, probably, eat a heavy meal beforehand. lots of potatoes, rice, noodles, or other such things in it. That, and 'fatty stuff'. Bacon, butter, cheese, whole milk, etc.

Amethyst Wind:
I'm a self-proud lightweight. Past 3 drinks and I begin freaking out. I'm currently on my 6th 8% chu-hi and whenever I close my eyes I get sensations of my body moving out of my control.

What should I do to prevent this in the future? (Besides not drinking, which I plan to do anyway)

how old are you? alcohol tollerance builds as you get older and more used to its effects.
I used to get the "spinning room" when I was younger, now I just fall asleep.

eating food helps and don't drink too fast is my advice, oh and know your limit.

Probably doesn't bode well that I completely forgot I'd made this thread.

Though, as stated in my OP, I had had a few at the time.

Oh well. No more Chu-hi anyway now since I'm leaving Japan.

I won't be back on the Strongbow/Blackthorn until NFL season anyway.

Amethyst Wind:

British cider and American football? What an ungodly combination.

Batou667:

Amethyst Wind:

British cider and American football? What an ungodly combination.

Have you tried American cider?

Haha! This thread is great!

I'd second the earlier suggestion, that the only way to stop being a lightweight is to drink more, and more often, thus increasing your tolerance.

Also, steer clear of Spirits, and stick to beer/cider or possibly wine. I find that spirits and mixers (whiskey and coke for eg.) are smaller and far easier to drink and so you end up wasted far faster that you otherwise would. It just helps you pace your drinking, which is important if you don't want to end up covered in your own vomit by 11pm. :-P

I'm speaking from experience and as a fellow lightweight, it worked for me. Until I stopped drinking, anyway.

Amethyst Wind:

Have you tried American cider?

I wasn't aware Americans had cider. I mean, they have "apple cider", but that's non-alcoholic juice and cinnamon.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked