Upgrading my PC

So my current PC is the:
HP Pavilion H8-1234
Its pretty good apart from its weedy 300W PSU and a graphics card which is a rebranded/slightly overclocked Radeon HD 6450.

So what im looking to shove into it instead is the following:
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mini-Displayport-PCI-Express-Graphic-GV-R787OC-2GD/dp/B007PJVB3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

ModXStream-Pro 600w PSU
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Modular-Performance-compatible/dp/B001EYV690

Am I making a mistake with this? Is there something I can get for more power at a lower price? Will this nuke my poor suffering PC?

Seems ok, although you can save some money on the PSU if you want.
This is a decent one too.

300watts? What the hell HP??

AWAR:
Seems ok, although you can save some money on the PSU if you want.
This is a decent one too.

300watts? What the hell HP??

Yeah... I don't know who on earth would put that in a PC. On the bright side the whole default rig is whisper quiet.

The reason I chose that PSU is because Ive heard the motherboard on this model has a semi-proprietary and rejects most decent PSUs so you have to find one that is compatible with the motherboard's weird specifications.

Captcha= "time lord" Do you know something I don't Captcha?

vallorn:
-

I can see that it has the regular 4 pin and 24 pin connectors, so from the looks of it there shouldn't be any problems. Also, please don't buy prebuilt crap ever again.

AWAR:

vallorn:
-

I can see that it has the regular 4 pin and 24 pin connectors, so from the looks of it there shouldn't be any problems. Also, please don't buy prebuilt crap ever again.

Dont worry I learned my lesson with this one. It was on sale and the RAM and processor caught my eye.

I joined here just to ask if that PSU worked.

I have the exact same PC and having trouble with the PSU myself.

It's nearly impossible to upgrade the video without the PSU.

I've tried the Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU (two of them actually) and they didn't work.

So...did the ModXStream-Pro 600w PSU actually work?!?

ashleypower:
-

I don't see why the one you tried wouldn't work. The mobo seems pretty standard and the Thermaltake TR2 has the correct input plugs. What exactly was the problem?

Same problem with both power supplies; it would make a "fizzling" sound...haha...then shut down after a couple of minutes. I figured the first PSU might be faulty, but I tried another, exact same one. No good.

It seems to be a common problem with this board. I've done many Google searches; many people have the same problem.

ashleypower:
It seems to be a common problem with this board. I've done many Google searches; many people have the same problem.

That's weird as heck...I've never ran into anything quite like that. I can only suggest trying a different PSU; I can't think of any reason why that one shouldn't work though.

That's why I'm checking here to see if the PSU in question worked...haha.

ashleypower:
That's why I'm checking here to see if the PSU in question worked...haha.

Ok here's what you should do. Throw that motherboard out and get a decent cheap one as well as the cheapest 500w Coolermaster or Corsair PSU you can find.
It's not worth spending time and money trying to figure out what's wrong with that piece of sh!t OEM motherboard..

I wonder would a "regular" board fit in that HP case?

Oh, so the layout is crazy so you can't change anything inside. Well played HP, well played.. Maybe if you fit the motherboard upside-down? I don't know.
and honestly I don't care much either

So...any power supplies out there work???

ashleypower:

Your best chance is to contact HP.

AWAR:

ashleypower:

Your best chance is to contact HP.

from experience that's an exercise in frustration.

The issue with the PSU is that its an odd shape and... I don't know... SOMETHING about it doesn't work like a normal ATX PSU.

Goddamnit HP... You suckered me in with a cheap machine that looks perfect to upgrade then proceeded to ballkick me.

ashleypower:

Ive seen several people mention they managed to upgrade this POS.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/HPE-H8-1234-Upgrades/td-p/2349061

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Guide-for-Selecting-a-Power-Supply/td-p/36223/page/46

The official HP forums seem to be pretty informative.

Update: I purchased the Corsair 600W PSU and to save money on the graphics card (I don't really care for graphics just to be able to play games) I got the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7790 OC 2GB

Captcha: Neckbeard

F*** you too Captcha.

So the Corsair 600w worked?

BTW, what is the model of Corsair used, if it worked?

ashleypower:
So the Corsair 600w worked?

BTW, what is the model of Corsair used, if it worked?

Im waiting till I have spare time at the weekend to install it they just arrived from Amazon last night.

...haha.

I can confirm that the Corsair CX600 works, thank God. Well, it has been for 2 days now anyways.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked