I Want To Know More About Computers (And I Honestly Don't Know Anything About Them Now)

I'm a kid. Video games interest me. PC games interest me. I want to know more about PCs and computers/software/hardware in general.

Problem is, I have no information on computers. I don't know how they work, I don't know what does what in them, Hell, I could barely tell you what a computer is.

I assume most of you are chuckling at my foolishness, but I really want to know more. Where can I find information on comnputers, in a way a kid like me could understand???

Awesomesauce123:
-

Here for a start. You can also send me a message for tech related questions.

Same, I don't know any particular places for basic information but if you want questions answered on the hardware side of things or just computer software stuff in general, you can ask me too. I find that that mostly just googling questions etc usually leads to a lot of people giving answers. Like if you want to know if a certain piece of hard ware is good, or what it does etc. it helps a lot.

Google is your friend.

ICT is broad. Which area do you want to know about? Networking? PC hardware? Programming?

Awesomesauce123:
I'm a kid. Video games interest me. PC games interest me. I want to know more about PCs and computers/software/hardware in general.

Problem is, I have no information on computers. I don't know how they work, I don't know what does what in them, Hell, I could barely tell you what a computer is.

I assume most of you are chuckling at my foolishness, but I really want to know more. Where can I find information on comnputers, in a way a kid like me could understand???

How old are we talking here? Some people's definition of easy to understand is not the same as other people's. Don't worry, there are ways for you to learn.

First of all, get yourself in the mindset of wanting to learn about technology. There are a lot of tech websites in the big wide Internet to look for. Next, devour the information. Keep one tab open to Wikipedia to get a general idea of what is the topic you're looking at on as you read. Google also works, but just know how to identify bias in certain articles, and you'll be good. I'm going to recommend http://howtogeek.com as their articles are very beginner friendly. It's where I started, and I'd like to share the love for that site.

After that? Post in forums. Ask questions. There's a Linux User Group here which is more technology related that can help you. It may seem as if we speak a foreign language, but we have no problems explaining about computers. We're also informal, so if you want to start there, come on in. :-)

But you say that you can't get enough? Contribute. Have a game idea that's original? Make it. That awesome idea you had for anything you may think of? Do it. Keep your mind open and be ready to work hard, but if you love computers at that stage, you can get it done.

If you'd like any help, PM me or come to the Linux User Group. We also have a thread about technology here, so start there for a general idea.

Hope I helped, and just remember that I'm available for help that you may need. :-)

Awesomesauce123:

How basic do you need? Are we talking 'this is a mouse'[1], 'this is a hard drive', or 'this is the BIOS'?

The escapist guide posted above is probably a good place to start. Any other questions, or anything you want to clarify, feel free to chuck it in the thread, or via PM.
My last job was teaching general IT to old people who'd in some cases never used modern electronics before, so don't worry about needing basic knowledge. Nice to see people who want to know more!

[1] I assume not since you've managed to get online and type the original post

Just Google any think you want to know chance are it on there.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked