So, my dog is acting weird...

I have a nine year old long haired chihuahua. And normally she's a pretty social dog who loves to be with people.

Lately though, she's been acting kinda weird. Normally she loves to sit in my dad's lap, but now, she likes to jump off and tuck herself in behind a couch or lamp table. And she rarely ventures from beyond them. Even if we get back home after a long day, she doesn't come out.

Before she started acting this way, she and my other dog were with my dad heading over to the mail box. My other dog, who had only one eye and was bigger than my first dog ran and accidentally knocked over her. She was knocked back so hard she rolled about three times.

Later on, we took her to the vet, and he couldn't really find anything wrong with her bones, joints, or muscles. He did however find that she had bladder stones. So he gave us some medicine to give to her.

Even with the medicine though, she's still acting kinda weird. She would only act normally when there's food and when I take her for walks.

Anyone here might know what's wrong with her? I'm thinking she might have been traumatized by getting hit by my other dog, but I feel it might have something to do with the bladder stones as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that sometimes when I try to pet her, she would run off and hide in one of the spots I mentioned. She lets me pet her from there, but still, it seems pretty weird.

Also, she's been acting like this for at least over a month now.

Did you mention this to the vet? That probably seems like a good place to start. She might be in pain from the bladder stones. She might be depressed due to the pain, since dogs can get depressive disorders just like humans. Perhaps the medicine is making her feel lethargic.

Anyway, somehow I doubt that this is a result of getting knocked over.

scorptatious:
snip

You should probably make sure she has a completely clean bill of health before you speculate about her being traumatized. Get the situation with the bladder stones all worked out first and when she's healthy, you can rule that out as causing the problem. You might need to pester your vet some more. Sometimes they like to just give pills and call it a day, you should give your vet a call and tell them what's going on.

When your pet is healthy again, some dogs (particularly small dogs) do have self confidence issues. They like to act all big and tough, but the second they realize they aren't, it can bother them. It might also take her some time to recover from the stones. There's not really any easy way to build your dogs confidence back up, you have to make sure to walk her regularly and play with her. Just make sure first, that she's not in pain by getting a full clear from your vet.

manic_depressive13:
Did you mention this to the vet? That probably seems like a good place to start. She might be in pain from the bladder stones. She might be depressed due to the pain, since dogs can get depressive disorders just like humans. Perhaps the medicine is making her feel lethargic.

Anyway, somehow I doubt that this is a result of getting knocked over.

Yes, we did mention this to the vet. She was acting like this before she started taking the pills. Although I think you might be onto something about the bladder stones. At first, before we found out about the bladder stones, we thought she was bruised by being knocked over by my other dog.

Eclipse Dragon:

scorptatious:
snip

You should probably make sure she has a completely clean bill of health before you speculate about her being traumatized. Get the situation with the bladder stones all worked out first and when she's healthy, you can rule that out as causing the problem. You might need to pester your vet some more. Sometimes they like to just give pills and call it a day, you should give your vet a call and tell them what's going on.

When your pet is healthy again, some dogs (particularly small dogs) do have self confidence issues. They like to act all big and tough, but the second they realize they aren't, it can bother them. It might also take her some time to recover from the stones. There's not really any easy way to build your dogs confidence back up, you have to make sure to walk her regularly and play with her. Just make sure first, that she's not in pain by getting a full clear from your vet.

She has been getting slightly better in terms of how she's acting in comparison to a couple of weeks ago. So yeah, hopefully she recovers soon.

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked