I'm making a list of things to take with just in case.

So I'm making a list of thing to take with me just in case any sort of emergency, minor annoyance, and other miscellaneous random events occur in my everyday life. All of these things should fit in a backpack and be available to the general public. Here's what I have so far.

-First aid kit
-An Epipen, I'm not allergic to anything (as far as I know) but you never know when an emergency might occur with somebody else.
-A multitool
-A flashlight
-Spare batteries for said flashlight
-A portable rechargeable power outlet. These DO exist for those who didn't already know.
-Gum
-Handcuffs, because what if I punch out a guy trying to mug me?
-Beef jerky in case I ever get trapped in an elevator.
-2 chocolate bars in case I get trapped in an elevator with somebody who has low blood sugar.
-Nutella
-2 spoons
-A cell phone obviously. (in my pocket)
-A cell pone charger.
-A pack of cigarettes in case anybody ever asks for a smoke.
-A lighter in case anybody ever asks for a light.
-A retractable dog leash in case of an encounter with an escaped dog.
-A choke chain for dogs.
-Dog treats
-Duct tape
-A rubber band ball
-My PSP (in my pocket)
-My 3DS (in my pocket)
-My wallet (with a chain attached to my belt loop, in my pocket)
-30 dollars (in my wallet)
-A towel (crimson red)

So does anybody else have any suggestions for this list? If so please share and give a reason as to why. As said before these should all be things available to the general public.

Edit: I think some people are taking this list too seriously. I'm only typing this up for fun and don't actually plan on making the kit so please stop telling me to take stuff out. I never once said this was supposed to be serious.

Notes (you need a notepad and pen)

how good is your multitool? does it include decent versions of screwdrivers, pliers and knives?

why do you need handcuffs? i don't really care or want to know but it seems redundant given you already have duct tape or could easily be replaced by lightweight cable ties

your lighter is useless if it gets wet. consider replacing it with a flint.

your 30 dollars is gone if it's in your wallet which is in your pants when your pants get stolen/burned. consider useing a safety pin (also handy to have) to attach it to your sock

he didn't towlie.....

I'm not sure why would you keep handcuffs on your person or nutella for that matter but are you honestly going to carry your cellphone, your wallet, a 3DS AND a PSP in your pockets? That seems a bit excessive to me.

AWAR:
I'm not sure why would you keep handcuffs on your person or nutella for that matter but are you honestly going to carry your cellphone, your wallet, a 3DS AND a PSP in your pockets? That seems a bit excessive to me.

Actually I ALWAYS carry my cellphone, wallet, psp, and 3ds in my pockets along with my house keys and sometimes my 3ds charger. I have a hoodie with large pockets which I almost always wear.

also the handcuffs are for the unlikely event that I end up in the position of making a citizens arrest due to punching out a mugger, they aren't heavy so unless I get to the point that I need to drop some weight from the pack I'm grabbing them. I'll add that as a note.

Also why the HELL do I need a reason to have Nutella on my person?

Epicspoon:
-

Citizen's arrest? Punching a mugger? I really suggest otherwise, unless you want to risk getting shot, beaten or stabbed
captcha: Stay Safe
Consider it a sign lol..

I'm not entirely sure how legal it is for you to cuff somebody as an untrained civilian, even when you're defending yourself. You might want to look up the laws on that just to be sure, or at the very least to be certain as to the circumstances in which it is acceptable. Also, as far as I know, literally punching somebody so that they fall unconscious is mostly something that happens in movies. About the only way you're going to ACTUALLY be able to knock someone out is with some sort of chemical. This makes me worry that you're not basing your other choices on reality, either.

Also, I don't know what sort of backpack you have, but I'm thinking even if you find one that can hold all that stuff it's going to be FULL and heavy as fuck. Like, it's good to be prepared and whatnot, but if you haven't already put this stuff in a bag to check I don't think you realize how encumbering all that is going to be.

As for advice on what to pack...I dunno, I sort of feel like you should be taking stuff away. That list is a bit on the cray side, imo. Handcuffs, duct tape, leash, choke chain, towel...fuck, if you leave that anywhere or for some reason YOU'RE unconscious and the police take a look through your bag, they're going to think you're preparing to kidnap somebody. Also those cigarettes might stink up the whole bag, so be careful how/where you keep those.

Pack a candle. Candles are always useful. Oh and waterproof matches to go with them. What's with all this stuff anyway? Being prepared is great, but man that's a lot of stuff to pack around. I keep a bag of gear in the car for emergencies. But that's mostly for winter when the roads are awful.

Epicspoon:
So I'm making a list of thing to take with me just in case any sort of emergency....

Don't forget the bear spray and a high-visibility signaling panel so that any AC-130s overhead don't accidentally shell you.

The crazy thing is, I actually carry some stuff but like, high-quality, compact stuff.

As part of my EDC I take:

Chapstick
Gerber Clutch (with pliers)
Gerber EAB (photo of both)
Needles, thread, signal mirror, one zip tie (all fit inconspicuously in a $5 Leatherman holster I use for my phone)
Disposable lighter
Handkerchief
Two sets of house/car keys, one in each pocket
Fenix E01 - skinnier than a Chapstick, uses a single AAA battery with a 21-hour runtime (10 hours at 10 lumens), waterproof up to 30 minutes at 1 meter

The end result is I don't look out of the ordinary. Everything is compact and I don't stand out at all. Nobody gives me any weird looks except when I use my Gerber EAB, at which point everybody goes, "COOL! WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE???"

lechat:

your lighter is useless if it gets wet. consider replacing it with a flint.

Actually, I always forget my lighters in the wash, they get wet all the time. It only takes a few tries to get a wet lighter working again because both the wheel and the flint will dry out.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked