Making Windows 8 Tolerable

I just recently purchased myself a new laptop because I am about to go to university (I've a desktop at home, this computer is specifically for school work), unfortunately the only operating system stocked by anyone anymore is Windows 8 because Microsoft decided that selling products that weren't steaming piles of dog shit would be too risky a business decision, lest customers realize what it's like to have nice things.

I've desperately tried to make heads or tails of this OS, but Microsoft managed to do everything wrong and I'm not sure what to do, I'm looking for advice on how to make it bearable to use. I want to make my laptop pretend that it's Windows 7.

OR

Better yet, gut this thing of windows 8, however the salesperson (family insisted on being there to buy the computer and insisted it be at a store because eBay and the internet at large scares them so) said crap along the lines of "I wouldn't remove windows 8 because a lot of the drivers require Windows 8 to work and we're NOT SURE if going back to windows 7 would stop them from working". I need to know if I can gut the worst OS of all time from my computer and still have it function.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide, the second option is preferable since who the fuck wants Windows 8. My apologies if my more colorful language is off-putting, but good god is this unbearable.

There are start menu replacements, I've no experience with them at all (I'm still on win 7) but I've seen people using them. Tek Syndicate did an interesting video a while back.

AWAR:
There are start menu replacements, I've no experience with them at all (I'm still on win 7) but I've seen people using them. Tek Syndicate did an interesting video a while back.

Thanks for the response, watching the whole video and seeing the sidebar tells me that these people will have a lot of information that I'll want to take advantage of, thanks for sending me their way.

EDIT: I have gone through a large number of their videos and some research I've done on my own, these have lead me to the conclusion that there's no saving windows 8 and even if there are some drivers that could potentially be ruined by going back to windows 7 then it doesn't matter, a sacrifice that is worth making.

Take a look for "Windows 8.1" it's meant to resolve some of the irritations (letting you boot to desktop, for instance).

I'd suggest that you give Windows 8 a reasonable run though - a few weeks at least. Some of the changes are pretty annoying at first, but once you're used to them it won't bother you. I used it for that long and found that I preferred it to Windows 7.

Also remember that if you install Windows 7 then you'll not be able to use DirectX 11.1 and your machine will almost certainly boot more slowly.

You say that they've done everything wrong and your not sure what to do: what is it that you're having trouble with?

Baron_BJ:

EDIT: I have gone through a large number of their videos and some research I've done on my own, these have lead me to the conclusion that there's no saving windows 8 and even if there are some drivers that could potentially be ruined by going back to windows 7 then it doesn't matter, a sacrifice that is worth making.

There are no driver issues as far as I'm aware off (they are essentially the same thing under the hood), however I'd try sticking with 8 if I were you. Maybe getting one of those third-party start menu things might prove less of a chore compared to a full OS install.

It would be usefull to know what exactly you hate about win8 and what you want to change, because the only real "downside" I noticed is that you need one additional klick after booting to reach the desktop.

well this will help visually http://www.classicshell.net/ This makes the thing autoboot to desktop and makes the desktop look like windows seven so give it a try.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked