Would a NAS be accessible remotely in this setup?

I have the modem/router in the living room, that's connected to the phone line in the wall. I plan to run an ethernet cable from there to my bedroom, which is on the other side of the wall, and have the other end of the cable in a 16 port gigabit switch. If I get a NAS, stick a few hard drives in it, would my NAS be accessible if it's connected to the switch or would I have to connect it directly to a LAN port on the modem?

RikuoAmero:
I have the modem/router in the living room, that's connected to the phone line in the wall. I plan to run an ethernet cable from there to my bedroom, which is on the other side of the wall, and have the other end of the cable in a 16 port gigabit switch. If I get a NAS, stick a few hard drives in it, would my NAS be accessible if it's connected to the switch or would I have to connect it directly to a LAN port on the modem?

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work in the gigabit switch, but I'm not certain because I've not used one.
Probably worth speaking to the manufacturer of the NAS, and of the switch to make sure.
Sorry I can't be more helpful!

RikuoAmero:

The only reason why it wouldn't work out of the box if the switch is a managed one that defaults to the highest security. Do remember to check that your computer, nas and router/modem are on the same subnet.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked