potential PS3 issue?

ive turned my PS3 on and my TV was just showing the PS3 boot up screen but really fuzzy and is now showing a blank screen as if it is getting no signal from the PS3. Its quite an old TV so im not sure if the problem is with the PS3 or the TV?

any help will be appreciated

n.b it was fine yesterday

edit: If done another invest. I dont think the TV is at fault i just had a display for a few seconds when i booted up my PS3 then it went fuzzy again (which could be an intermittent fault with either device) however the PS3 seems to be running strangely quietly (ala fans fucked/ possible overheating issue) which maybe the case as i use my PS3 for TV and netflix so its pretty much always on.

I dont mind buying a new PS3 but if i cant get a signal how would i go about transferring my files if i cant see wants on screen. Can I simply put my old PS3 hard drive into my new and redeem all my save files etc?

Then your first order of business should be to hook it up to another TV and check.

Casual Shinji:
Then your first order of business should be to hook it up to another TV and check.

i dont have another TV so i would try that too. ive tried plugging my aerial directly into my TV (to see if it gets a signal from that) and i dont even get any static (which would suggest theres no inputs at all) although that maybe because there is no analogue signal in the UK anymore?[1]

it says on google that a lot of the time this fault happens with HDMIs but im using a AV cable because the TV is that old. its about time i got a new TV anyway but i dont want to buy a new TV then have to wait till next pay day to get a new PS3 too especially since i get paid the day before GTA V comes out

[1] edit: im pretty sure even if all the analogue channels are switched off you would still get static on screen. id doesnt come from the channels its just background noise right?

Are you gaming on a CRT?

cloroxbb:
Are you gaming on a CRT?

not exactly, its an LCD but its really really old. it doesnt have a HDMI input just a AV connection.

thinking about dipping into my savings and getting one of these tomorrow

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue40f6400-smart-3d-40-led-tv-21251493-pdt.html

or one of these

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-47ln578v-smart-47-led-tv-21326033-pdt.html

if that doesnt solve the problem ill get a new PS3 and live of stale bread for another 20 days until i get paid

edit: If done another invest. I dont think the TV is at fault i just had a display for a few seconds when i booted up my PS3 then it went fuzzy again (which could be an intermittent fault with either device) however the PS3 seems to be running strangely quietly (ala fans fucked/ possible overheating issue) which maybe the case as i use my PS3 for TV and netflix so its pretty much always on.

I dont mind buying a new PS3 but if i cant get a signal how would i go about transferring my files if i cant see wants on screen. Can I simply put my old PS3 hard drive into my new one and redeem all my save files etc?

I'd like to point out getting your PS3 refurbished is actually a good option, Sony has a flat out fee regardless of the issue (so it will be fixed and u wont get a surprise bill no matter what the issue is).
I would suggest you go to a friends and plug the PS3 into their TV or plug something else into yours (PS1/2?). It also may be the cable itself.

if you hold the power button when turning it on it'll go from red to green to red again. turn it on again and it should auto detect your output. might fix it if something has happened to change that option.

RicoADF:
I'd like to point out getting your PS3 refurbished is actually a good option, Sony has a flat out fee regardless of the issue (so it will be fixed and u wont get a surprise bill no matter what the issue is).
I would suggest you go to a friends and plug the PS3 into their TV or plug something else into yours (PS1/2?). It also may be the cable itself.

to be honest im long overdue a new TV. if i buy a new TV at least i will be able to watch TV/Netflix on that rather than through my PS3. if it happens to be the TV thats at fault then win win. if the PS3 is at fault ill either buy a new one (as cheap as possible) and give my old PS3 to my friend in the hope he can get it refurbed OR wait and get it refurbed which could take a while.

like i said above, how would i go about transferring my files if i did buy a new one?

-Ezio-:
if you hold the power button when turning it on it'll go from red to green to red again. turn it on again and it should auto detect your output. might fix it if something has happened to change that option.

ive tried that. it doesnt work and thats literally the only advice i could find on youtube

shootthebandit:

to be honest im long overdue a new TV. if i buy a new TV at least i will be able to watch TV/Netflix on that rather than through my PS3. if it happens to be the TV thats at fault then win win. if the PS3 is at fault ill either buy a new one (as cheap as possible) and give my old PS3 to my friend in the hope he can get it refurbed OR wait and get it refurbed which could take a while.

like i said above, how would i go about transferring my files if i did buy a new one?

I would say call Sony support if the TV doesn't fix the issue, although you will be using a different connection so if its the cable &/or port the issue will be resolved. I know you can remove the hard drive but not sure how a new machine will handle it, check with Sony (it should be ok but check first just incase). I've only replaced the HDD on my PS3 when I upgraded it to 1TB, not due to display issues.

Edit: I would suggest you try the suggestion above again, I know when I try to put my PS3 onto an AV TV it can be very moody, sometimes it works others it wont. I don't think it was really optimized for such old technology.

RicoADF:

shootthebandit:

I would say call Sony support if the TV doesn't fix the issue, although you will be using a different connection so if its the cable &/or port the issue will be resolved. I know you can remove the hard drive but not sure how a new machine will handle it, check with Sony (it should be ok but check first just incase). I've only replaced the HDD on my PS3 when I upgraded it to 1TB, not due to display issues.

Edit: I would suggest you try the suggestion above again, I know when I try to put my PS3 onto an AV TV it can be very moody, sometimes it works others it wont. I don't think it was really optimized for such old technology.

I looked into it. You cant just replace the hard drive you have do it through the PS3 or else it will corrupt all your files. So basically if this is an issue with the PS3 which im now more inclined to think it is (just got the "last time you didnt turn your console off properly" screen then it froze and went fuzzy) plus the fact that its really quiet when it runs. This could be an issue because if i cant get to the backup hard drive screen then ive got no chance of transferring my data over

shootthebandit:

I looked into it. You cant just replace the hard drive you have do it through the PS3 or else it will corrupt all your files. So basically if this is an issue with the PS3 which im now more inclined to think it is (just got the "last time you didnt turn your console off properly" screen then it froze and went fuzzy) plus the fact that its really quiet when it runs. This could be an issue because if i cant get to the backup hard drive screen then ive got no chance of transferring my data over

Other than having a fan blowing into the PS3 to keep it cool (since it sounds like heating issues like you said) and just using that while you do a backup I can't think of any other option. If you have air con have that on as well.

EDIT: I'll look into options once I get home from work. Where about's do you live?

RicoADF:

shootthebandit:

Other than having a fan blowing into the PS3 to keep it cool (since it sounds like heating issues like you said) and just using that while you do a backup I can't think of any other option. If you have air con have that on as well.

EDIT: I'll look into options once I get home from work. Where about's do you live?

I live in the UK so i dont really have a need for a fan or aircon but does the wet towel thing work? Even if its just for a few hours to get the data transferred? If not ill look at a cheap fan.

Edit: if i have to get a new PS3 i could face them back to back when transferring the data so the fan from the new one is essentially cooling the old one

shootthebandit:

I live in the UK so i dont really have a need for a fan or aircon but does the wet towel thing work? Even if its just for a few hours to get the data transferred? If not ill look at a cheap fan.

Wet towl might work for very short term, but a few hrs to do a backup I doubt it'd cool it enough and suggest you grab a cheap fan. If you can put it near a window to let the cold air blow in as well that'd help.

RicoADF:

shootthebandit:

Wet towl might work for very short term, but a few hrs to do a backup I doubt it'd cool it enough and suggest you grab a cheap fan. If you can put it near a window to let the cold air blow in as well that'd help.

Ive tried it with the HDMI on my new TV and it still does it. Like i said i really need to get a new PS3 but i dont know how to keep it on long enough to get all my data

shootthebandit:

Ive tried it with the HDMI on my new TV and it still does it. Like i said i really need to get a new PS3 but i dont know how to keep it on long enough to get all my data

Let me know how the fan goes, should help. Otherwise all you can do is call Sony support and see what they can offer. You may be able to get them to repair it without wiping the disk (just ask for repair not refurbishment)

RicoADF:

shootthebandit:

Let me know how the fan goes, should help. Otherwise all you can do is call Sony support and see what they can offer. You may be able to get them to repair it without wiping the disk (just ask for repair not refurbishment)

Ill try the fan tomorrow before i commit to buying a new one. Theres no point buying a new one if i have to get the old one fixed anyway to get all my data back. If i can get it to run for a few hours with a fan and a wet towel. Then hopefully it should be sufficient to do a transfer

Also if its just the fans that are faulty is it possible to order a new internal fan unit and DIY fit it?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked