Calling All Members of the PC Gaming Master Race...

My Windows 7 laptop is currently blue-screening upon bootup. So far, both the System Repair and System Restore options have completely failed to solve the problem (Fyi, the System Restore option reverts the system settings to an earlier point, and I'm apparently as far back as I can go now). By the looks of the error reports seems to be a corrupt registry error that's causing the blue-screens.

Here's the kicker though - Safe Mode works, seemingly just fine. I'm at this very moment in Safe Mode w/ Networking, which is how I'm managing to type this. My laptop's specs according to dxdiag are as follows:

System Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH20 Version CCB.03.61.09F.21
Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Can anyone here help me figure out what's going on here and how I can fix it? I think I've decripted the faded-out product key for Windows 7 that's on my laptop's barcode-sticker, so a full reinstall of Windows may be on the table granted that I can figure out how to do it without a CD, though I'd much rather not if possible since I can't really afford an external HD. If you need more info, just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

To the Mods, I apologize for putting this here instead of the Advice Forum. However, I'm incredibly desperate and literally cannot afford to take the risk of nobody responding that comes with posting in such an empty forum.

Yeah sounds like a fubared windows install, you have or had a install portion with windows and a recovery program. register error tend to need a full re install I think, as you have to rebuild the registry.

Hilariously, this post will be in the Advice forums soon enough. And honestly, this is warning worthy consider you know what you've done wrong.

In any case, looks like a new install is in order. Registry errors can be fixed manually (If that is indeed what it is), but it's annoying, time consuming, and is going to be a pain in the ass to do so remotely.

Sorry.

Can anyone here help me figure out what's going on here and how I can fix it?

No, you haven't told us what the BSOD error code is so anyone suggesting a resolution at the moment is guessing and that's the best that can be said of any advice given so far.

BSOD can be caused by a huge number of factors give us the BSOD code or at least take a look in the event manager and see if any error or issues have been logged.

As for safe mod working fine, well safe mode is a no thrills version of Windows so that at least tells us that the Windows install isn't fubar the issue is being caused by something non essential to getting Windows running.

Try booting to safe mode and then checking event viewer to see if that pin points the error

On win7 hit the start button and type in the search box Event Viewer.

Laughing Man:

Can anyone here help me figure out what's going on here and how I can fix it?

No, you haven't told us what the BSOD error code is so anyone suggesting a resolution at the moment is guessing and that's the best that can be said of any advice given so far.

BSOD can be caused by a huge number of factors give us the BSOD code or at least take a look in the event manager and see if any error or issues have been logged.

As for safe mod working fine, well safe mode is a no thrills version of Windows so that at least tells us that the Windows install isn't fubar the issue is being caused by something non essential to getting Windows running.

albino boo:
Try booting to safe mode and then checking event viewer to see if that pin points the error

On win7 hit the start button and type in the search box Event Viewer.

It seems as though the Event Viewer did not log anything during the bluescreens. I deliberately tried to run the laptop twice without Safe Mode at roughly 10:00 pm and 10:45 pm (in my timezone, anyways) in order to get it to bluescreen as usual and hopefully log something into the Event Viewer, which successfully bluescreened both times upon bootup. Going back into Safe Mode at about 12:30 am and I checked the Event Viewer thoroughly, clicking on any log with even 1 event. Absolutely no events were found between roughly 9:45 pm and 12:30 am, which was when the bluescreens happened. Now I admit that I am not very familiar with Event Viewer or how it works, but I did make sure to click on anything that didn't have 0 events in it and checked what the exact time all of the events of 8/27 and 8/28 happened, with none mathcing up with the time of the bluescreens at all. It does however list some erroneous events in Windows Logs/Systems that apparently take place upon a successful launch into Safe Mode, including the following drivers not launching:

aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswTdi
aswVmm
discache
MpFilter
spldr
Wanarpv6

The fact that this error only happens upon successfully entering Safe Mode, combined with Safe Mode deliberately not loading many drivers, leaves me confused about whether this is tied to the bluescreens or just a normal part of Safe Mode.

As for the bluescreen codes themselves, those are as follows:

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004256E93, 0xFFFFF880009A8F98, 0xFFFFF880009A8800)

Unlike most bluescreens, there was no error name (such as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), just the error codes above. It also automatically resets the computer shortly after compiling the minidump, followed by it asking me if I want to try a System Repair, since Windows failed to launch. The fact that Windows won't launch unless it's in Safe Mode still baffles me and makes me think that there's a corrupt driver of sorts or maybe even a few of them, especially since the System Repairs from the other day clearly mentioned a "Corrupt Registry".

Anything else you need to know?

EDIT: Forgot one of the bluescreen codes. It's fixed now.

V da Mighty Taco:

It seems as though the Event Viewer did not log anything during the bluescreens. I deliberately tried to run the laptop twice without Safe Mode at roughly 10:00 pm and 10:45 pm (in my timezone, anyways) in order to get it to bluescreen as usual and hopefully log something into the Event Viewer, which successfully bluescreened both times upon bootup. Going back into Safe Mode at about 12:30 am and I checked the Event Viewer thoroughly, clicking on any log with even 1 event. Absolutely no events were found between roughly 9:45 pm and 12:30 am, which was when the bluescreens happened. Now I admit that I am not very familiar with Event Viewer or how it works, but I did make sure to click on anything that didn't have 0 events in it and checked what the exact time all of the events of 8/27 and 8/28 happened, with none mathcing up with the time of the bluescreens at all. It does however list some erroneous events in Windows Logs/Systems that apparently take place upon a successful launch into Safe Mode, including the following drivers not launching:

aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswTdi
aswVmm
discache
MpFilter
spldr
Wanarpv6

The fact that this error only happens upon successfully entering Safe Mode, combined with Safe Mode deliberately not loading many drivers, leaves me confused about whether this is tied to the bluescreens or just a normal part of Safe Mode.

As for the bluescreen codes themselves, those are as follows:

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88004256E93, 0xFFFFF880009A8F98, 0xFFFFF880009A8800)

Unlike most bluescreens, there was no error name (such as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), just the error codes above. It also automatically resets the computer shortly after compiling the minidump, followed by it asking me if I want to try a System Repair, since Windows failed to launch. The fact that Windows won't launch unless it's in Safe Mode still baffles me and makes me think that there's a corrupt driver of sorts or maybe even a few of them, especially since the System Repairs from the other day clearly mentioned a "Corrupt Registry".

Anything else you need to know?

EDIT: Forgot one of the bluescreen codes. It's fixed now.

The asxx are avast AV process, the other are windows services to do with networking and file indexing, which I expect to be switched off in safemode. You could try to remove avast and reinstall to be on the safe side.

Now did your laptop go into hibernation before it broke? If your hard drive was near capacity not all the hibernation state could fit on the drive, so its trying to restore a partial configuration. Go into safe mode and delete the hiberfil.sys file. 0x0000007E is sometimes associated with webcams try disabling the device in safe mode and rebooting.

V da Mighty Taco:
The fact that Windows won't launch unless it's in Safe Mode still baffles me and makes me think that there's a corrupt driver of sorts

Admittedly I'm not completely certain however I believe safe mode isn't simply booting your Windows installation without loading non-essential components but is also loading a substantial amount of alternate system files and settings that are near guaranteed to work despite how buggered your actual operating system is. Regardless a reinstall is going to fix your issue assuming it's software related. That being said you haven't really described the circumstances under which the problem began and the error codes don't provide much more information so it's hard to say what the cause could be with any certainty.

If you decide you need an installation disk you can download a legit and legal .iso here. As long as you can get that onto a DVD or a flash drive you should be able to do a reinstall.

Did these BSOds happen to start last week say around the 22nd? Around the time when MS usually does it's update patch to Windows?

If so then the issue could very well be the latest update which is getting a number of reports from users that it does not play well with Avast, the list of files from event viewer suggest you are using Avast? If so the only resolution is to remove the latest patch from your computer at least until MS find a fix or a work round.

The patch number is KB2859537

albino boo:

V da Mighty Taco:
*Snip*

The asxx are avast AV process, the other are windows services to do with networking and file indexing, which I expect to be switched off in safemode. You could try to remove avast and reinstall to be on the safe side.

Now did your laptop go into hibernation before it broke? If your hard drive was near capacity not all the hibernation state could fit on the drive, so its trying to restore a partial configuration. Go into safe mode and delete the hiberfil.sys file. 0x0000007E is sometimes associated with webcams try disabling the device in safe mode and rebooting.

Actually, I do believe that this all started after an overnight hibernation. Two nights during the same week (possibly the previous two nights in general, but not quite certain), I had placed the computer into sleep mode and hibernation (nights 1 and 2 respectively), only to awake to massive slowdowns the next day. The Task Manager was stating that during these slowdowns, my CPU and RAM usage was very minimal as well (~5% or less for the CPU and a maximum of ~1.5GB out of ^GB of RAM). I found the root cause to be Steam the first night (the sleep mode) and Firefox the second night (the hibernation), and the computer ran perfectly fine after I reinstalled them (though I did do the "delete all Steam files bar Steam.exe and SteamApps folder" trick for reinstalling Steam). I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

I do have to ask - what will happen if I delete the hiberfil.sys file? While this may seem obvious, I want to make sure that this won't wreck the computer in some other unseen way. Thanks again for the help, btw, and I'll let you know how it goes after uninstalling Avast.

EDIT: I do want to point out that my HD is nowhere near full, with 187GB out of 465GB still free.

albino boo:
Snip

First off - I apologise for the doublepost.

Second - you magnificent bastard, it actually worked! I uninstalled avast, restarted, and it didn't bluescreen this time. Sometimes, you just got to love this community. XD

However, I still want to try to get to the bottom of what exactly happened so that I don't repeat it again, so hope you don't mind if I ask you some more questions on the matter. Also, do you think I should avoid reinstalling Avast or not? I don't know if something got corrupted or if Avast is just a, for lack of a better term, "piece of shit".

Laughing Man:
Did these BSOds happen to start last week say around the 22nd? Around the time when MS usually does it's update patch to Windows?

If so then the issue could very well be the latest update which is getting a number of reports from users that it does not play well with Avast, the list of files from event viewer suggest you are using Avast? If so the only resolution is to remove the latest patch from your computer at least until MS find a fix or a work round.

The patch number is KB2859537

The issues started I'd guess two days after the 22nd, so I don't think that was the cause - especially now that the computer seems to be working fine again.

V da Mighty Taco:

albino boo:
Snip

First off - I apologise for the doublepost.

Second - you magnificent bastard, it actually worked! I uninstalled avast, restarted, and it didn't bluescreen this time. Sometimes, you just got to love this community. XD

However, I still want to try to get to the bottom of what exactly happened so that I don't repeat it again, so hope you don't mind if I ask you some more questions on the matter. Also, do you think I should avoid reinstalling Avast or not? I don't know if something got corrupted or if Avast is just a, for lack of a better term, "piece of shit".

I'm glad you got it to work. I would scan your hard drive for errors, there will always be some but if you are getting a lot of bad sectors it's a reasonable guess that your drive is failing. If that comes up clean, then its just one of things. I am working on the theory that the spirit of Steve Job is randomly possessing windows products. I will then set myself up as microsoft certified exorcist.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked