PC was beeping five times on startup, but has now stopped...

So after moving into my dorm room last week, I finally decided to setup my 1.5 - 2 year old desktop. All I hooked up was the power, and after turning it on, it let off 5 beeps. I looked up the beep codes for my motherboard and it says that it is a CPU failure/bad CPU.

What I then did was hook up the screen to see if it gave any messages, but all it did was continue as it normally would. I hooked up the keyboard to log in and then the mouse. Everything looked fine, except right after logging in it gave me a message saying "You must restart to save changes" or something. I didn't know what else to do, so I restarted, expecting the beeps again, but they did come. I did a full shutdown and then turned it on again ten seconds later, still no more beeps.

I expected the hard drive to fail first, as it's been making some noises, not the CPU.

My PC's specs are:

1x AMD A6-3650 2.6GHx Quad Core FM1 CPU
4x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
1x MSI A75MA-G55 FM1 mATX MotherBoard
1x 1TB 3.5" SATA 6G 7200RPM HDD
1x Single Radeon HD6850 1GB PCIe Graphics Card
1x 550W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
Misc. Peripherals.

Obviously, this is something I should eventually be worried about, but what is the problem and how long before I expect a permanent failure? The computer doesn't seem to be running any slower and the beeps are gone.

I should also mention that for months the computer will often display the wrong time, often 2-4 hours behind what the actual time is, so at first I thought the CMOS battery had died or something. While looking up codes, one guy did fix this problem by replacing the CMOS battery, but my codes indicate a CPU failure, not a CMOS failure (which is like 9 or 10 beeps).

Maybe try flashing the BIOS, if you're not already running the most recent version? Is everything correctly seated - cpu fan, RAM modules etc?

Qwurty2.0:

I expected the hard drive to fail first, as it's been making some noises, not the CPU.

Of course the HDD will make noises, it's a mechanical device after all -.- try googling for some free SMART software.

Other than what Mutant suggested, checking the CPU temps at idle and load might also be another good idea. If the temps are too high then there is a very likly possibility that the CPU is damaged.

Is the CPU heatsink properly installed and its 4 pin connector plugged to the right place?
I don't think there should be any problems if you don't get any beeps, your PC is fairly young as well. Faulty date is 99% of the times a CMOS battery issue and from my experience motherboards don't beep to indicate it's dead, so I suggest replacing the battery as well.
You can check your hard drive's health with this.

Mutant150:
Maybe try flashing the BIOS, if you're not already running the most recent version? Is everything correctly seated - cpu fan, RAM modules etc?

I'll look into that, I've never really paid attention to the bios beyond changing the boot device (I've only skimmed articles about flashing the bios and didn't want to accidentally do more harm than good).

mad825:

Qwurty2.0:

Of course the HDD will make noises, it's a mechanical device after all -.- try googling for some free SMART software.

Other than what Mutant suggested, checking the CPU temps at idle and load might also be another good idea. If the temps are too high then there is a very likly possibility that the CPU is damaged.

I know hard drives make noise, lol. I meant that after two years of using this computer the tone and pitch of the noise had changed, and I worried that with all the wiping and OS installs I'd done had worn the drive down.

I'll watch the temps and see if anything is out of the ordinary. I've got software somewhere on my computer for that... -_-

AWAR:
Is the CPU heatsink properly installed and its 4 pin connector plugged to the right place?
I don't think there should be any problems if you don't get any beeps, your PC is fairly young as well. Faulty date is 99% of the times a CMOS battery issue and from my experience motherboards don't beep to indicate it's dead, so I suggest replacing the battery as well.
You can check your hard drive's health with this.

Everything looked in place, but I pushed down on it to make sure it was snug against the motherboard. I also took out the RAM and put it back in (some people had said that this fixed the beeping for them, so I'd thought I'd try).

I didn't really think the beeping was a major concern at this moment, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something pressing or important. I left the computer on overnight installing some games and it still seems to be running perfectly fine.

Oh well. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked