Building a PC for the first time, looking for advice/opinions on parts

So I'm upgrading my stock Dell XPS 410 running XP to a new machine, I'm not looking to overclock my machine but I am looking at a system which will last me a long time. I'm also looking into potentially running servers and/or animation software in the future but for the mean time this will be gaming and normal use.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Hard drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" SSD (for OS and frequently used programs)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM (everything else)
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case
Power: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (to be bought at a later time)

So yeah I'll be building it myself but I have friends who have built PCs before, I'm a complete noob at this so any advice is much appreciated.

I can't really fault it overall but I can see a few parts of the build where you could potentially save a few bucks if you so choose.

The i7 isn't really necessary if it will be used primarily for gaming. It could be useful in other areas depending on the software you use but afaik there aren't yet any games in existence that support hyperthreading so and i5 3570 would give you practically the same performance in the vast majority of situations. Also you don't need to use the K variant if you don't plan to overclock, nor do you need a third-party cooler as the included cooler is more than enough at stock speeds.

As for the RAM, by all means go for a motherboard that supports that much to allow for a future upgrade but probably don't bother shelling out for the whole 32GB immediately since you're unlikely to come even close to using even 16GB at a time in the foreseeable future. Also DDR3-1866 runs at above stock speed (1600mhz) which means you're likely to have to tinker with the BIOS settings for it to run at the advertised frequency.

If you really want an SSD by all means go for it but personally I won a top-of-the-line Intel drive and while the faster boot time and file browsing is noticeable I honestly wouldn't actually pay for one. You could also probably go for a standard DVD-RW drive as opposed to the more expensive Blu-Ray drive since you're unlikely to get any use out of it unless you're willing to also fork out for expensive Blu-Ray playing software (unless of course there is some bundled with the drive).

I can't help but encourage that 1440p display though...shit's expensive but dem pixels. Can't wait for 4k to take off.

CPU cooler unnecessary.

I7s are a bit too powerful, and a lot too expensive, unless your getting into a PC self fap war (And yes, I DO have an i7). While it may help with some 'animation' software, I doubt your going to be running the hard core stuff.

Memory speed unnecessary. You can bump it down to 1600 without noticing.

I personally wouldn't get an SSD smaller then 240. That's when cost per GB gets at least semi-reasonable (Not really).

If you want one, though, Corsair is fine.

The GTX 670 is a generation behind. Unless your getting a significant discount (Which I'm not seeing online), you might as well throw the extra model at a 770.

Your spending this much money and putting it all in a Rosewill? ...Okay, I guess.

W7 Ultimate is not normally necessary. I suggest you look at the feature list and decide if you really need it. Pro should work fine for just about everyone.

My comments are, of course, based on the assumption that you want to save money by not over doing it. If you got the cash and don't care, what you got is perfectly fine.

Unless you are planning on overclocking I wouldn't bother with cpu cooler. The i7 and memory will give you significant grunt when rendering poser, whether it is worth it largely depends on how much you are planning to do. The GTX 670 is a little old but still serviceable, you may need to replace it after the next gen consoles come out and push the quality up.

Thanks for the advice, exactly the kindof stuff I was looking for.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked