Need a new monitor/TV

I think this is the first time I use this forum to ask for advice, but I need some.

I moved into a new home with mandatory TV-fees (blegh). So now that I'm there, I need a new monitor for my notebook. Preferably one that can also be used as a TV (since I'm paying for it anyway), but primarily it needs to easily connect to my notebook as well, like my old external monitor could. I'll mostly use it for gaming, so high resolutions and display frequency are key for me, really, while other features are secondary. Price range can be anything from 100 to, hm, maybe 800 €, but I don't want to get anything totally high-end. Any ideas?

Skeleon:
-snip

Get a PC monitor and a usb TV tuner. That way you won't have to worry about screen tearing or input lag in games.

Second. TVs often suck as computer monitors.

Yeah, I said I want a monitor that can also be used as a TV, not the other way around. I was more curious whether you had any particularly good or particularly bad experiences with various models.

Skeleon:
Yeah, I said I want a monitor that can also be used as a TV, not the other way around. I was more curious whether you had any particularly good or particularly bad experiences with various models.

Well in that case no, I've never had a good experience using a TV as a monitor, especially when it comes to gaming. There are likely exceptions that do a fine job but as a general rule a dedicated monitor combined with a USB TV tuner (or a set-top box if you're not into that) is a much better choice.

For only $400 US from Costco, I got this: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E390i-A1-39-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BF9MZY4/ref=sr_1_2/179-0368994-9975047?ie=UTF8&qid=1380330097&sr=8-2&keywords=vizio+39+led

I'd love one of those 2K computer monitors but they cost a fortune for a 27"!!!! This works just fine. I look forward to hearing what you ended up getting.

The extra small bezel is really cool too. EDIT: I was worried that it would be too big but, it is fine. Doubles as a good TV for a 10x10 room.

Gorfias:
For only $400 US from Costco, I got this: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E390i-A1-39-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BF9MZY4/ref=sr_1_2/179-0368994-9975047?ie=UTF8&qid=1380330097&sr=8-2&keywords=vizio+39+led

I'd love one of those 2K computer monitors but they cost a fortune for a 27"!!!! This works just fine. I look forward to hearing what you ended up getting.

The extra small bezel is really cool too. EDIT: I was worried that it would be too big but, it is fine. Doubles as a good TV for a 10x10 room.

Damn, that's a very decent price for a 120Hz 39" HDTV! If only I was working, I would buy that bastard right now. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that unit. Thanks.

FizzyIzze:

Gorfias:

Damn, that's a very decent price for a 120Hz 39" HDTV! If only I was working, I would buy that bastard right now. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that unit. Thanks.

Electronics are never a hurry. So far, they have only gotten less expensive and or better. I have 2 monitors: the one I described and a 32" both hooked up to my PC. I can be watching netflix with one while surfing on the other (watching Family Guy while I type this). My 32" LED 120 hz smart TV cost $500 2 years ago. Again, my 39" with thin bezel was $400 this month.

Hope you find good work ASAP and start having some fun. BTW: for the cheap gamer, www.humble.com is a charity site that sells older games/arcade games for next to nothing. I don't know how Gen 8 will keep up. A decent $500 computer with a good monitor and lots of games vs a console on a good TV at $60 a game for 6 hour games. Regardless, good time to be a consumer. I'm an idiot. I'll likely get a PS4 anyway.

Gorfias:

Electronics are never a hurry. So far, they have only gotten less expensive and or better. I have 2 monitors: the one I described and a 32" both hooked up to my PC. I can be watching netflix with one while surfing on the other (watching Family Guy while I type this). My 32" LED 120 hz smart TV cost $500 2 years ago. Again, my 39" with thin bezel was $400 this month.

Hope you find good work ASAP and start having some fun. BTW: for the cheap gamer, www.humble.com is a charity site that sells older games/arcade games for next to nothing. I don't know how Gen 8 will keep up. A decent $500 computer with a good monitor and lots of games vs a console on a good TV at $60 a game for 6 hour games. Regardless, good time to be a consumer. I'm an idiot. I'll likely get a PS4 anyway.

Unfortunately for me, whenever I find/buy something that I truly love, such as my dual 24" HDTV monitors, the things tend to 'disappear', or stop being manufactured. My monitors have just about every input commonly available, like DVI, VGA, HDMI, composite, component, and coax, and it's nice to have options to play my old consoles like N64. What I'm slightly paranoid about disappearing is composite video, but sadly, there's no good reason for TV manufacturers to continue with that format.

OT:

Oddly enough, I don't think I know or have even heard of a single person playing PC on a proper 120 or even 240Hz HDTV and I wonder if they would be almost as good as dedicated monitors. Let's be honest, I don't think the 'best' HDTV would ever match up with the 'best' dedicated monitor, but a direct comparison would never be possible because the price points would never match up with features. As far as OP may be concerned, yeah, an HDTV would never match up against a decent monitor, but said HDTV would be freaking 39 inches! Also, all HD content stands a chance of looking incredible (the "soap opera effect", like what happened with the last Hobbit movie) and any next-gen console would benefit from the 120Hz refresh rate as well.

FizzyIzze:

OT:
snip

That is because most 120hz or 240hz tv monitors can't really operate at that level, rather they produce "fake" frames that are inserted between the real ones hence the soap opera effect and other problems. Technically its still 60hz since the signal "fed" to them is at 60hz.

There are 120hz PC monitors out there that are actually 120hz, but you will need dual link dvi or display port connectors on your graphics card.

Skeleon:
snip

I think in your situation, I honestly wouldn't go for a combination HDTV monitor (like me) or even a monitor with an external TV tuner. Most external tuners are made by companies I've never heard of.

Just a few years ago in the US, back when digital over-the-air television became the standard, there were only a few brands of digital tuner boxes for sale. I went with one but the remote died on me less than 2 years later. The problem was that there was no way to buy a replacement, and I couldn't find any remote controls that were compatible. I had to fix it myself using glue and a pencil (for graphite). So any sort of box made by an unfamiliar company would just be a hassle in the long run I think.

If I had the money (and space), I personally would have bought two separate devices: an excellent HDTV like what Gorfias linked to, and a separate monitor for a laptop. I think you would get the best experience by getting them separately.

FizzyIzze:
What I'm slightly paranoid about disappearing is composite video

I'm betting converters will be around for some time. But that and even COMPONENT video is probably in danger. Things are going DVI, HDMI and there's a new digital output (though no tech site has given me reason to think this is as good/better than HDMI) Maybe the new 4k tvs require a different media?

Oddly enough, I don't think I know or have even heard of a single person playing PC on a proper 120 or even 240Hz HDTV and I wonder if they would be almost as good as dedicated monitors. Let's be honest, I don't think the 'best' HDTV would ever match up with the 'best' dedicated monitor, but a direct comparison would never be possible because the price points would never match up with features. As far as OP may be concerned, yeah, an HDTV would never match up against a decent monitor, but said HDTV would be freaking 39 inches! Also, all HD content stands a chance of looking incredible (the "soap opera effect", like what happened with the last Hobbit movie) and any next-gen console would benefit from the 120Hz refresh rate as well.

A dedicated screen can be more like 2600P vs 1800P. They can beat a regular 120 Hz HD TV BUT: I've only seen them on sale at about 32" at about $1,000. (and always LCD, not LED) Again, my 39" LED is awesome and cost $400. I haven't seen a game really recognizes that I have 120 hz though. They all read in the settings that they are 60hz. Oh well.

I could get $1K for a 2600 monitor, but I'm too cheap, and I'm loving 39". My advice, if you can get one, do it.

Thanks for your pieces of advice. I talked to another trusted source who told me that even high-res TVs are bad to actually work on (I use my computer not just for movies and gaming), so I think I'll go for a primary monitor. Now to figure out which one... :-)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked