'USB device not recognized' message. Don't know what else I can do at this point

A couple of weeks ago I put together a PC. Everything was going relatively smoothly, except the front panel USB 2.0 ports wouldn't work.[1]

At first I thought the wiring was faulty on my case so I returned it and got another one. Built the PC and get a 'USB device not recognized' error.

So then I thought it must have been the front panel on the motherboard, so I returned it, got it back yesterday and... same problem.

I've now gone through two cases, two motherboards, done a fresh install of Windows, updated the motherboard's BIOS and tried with multiple USB devices but to no avail. I don't know what else I can do to fix the issue at this point. I'm pulling my hair out trying to sort it but nothing's working! :(

My specs are as follows:
AMD FX 6300
XFX Radeon HD 7950
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard
8GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM
XFX 550W PSU (80 PLUS bronze)
NZXT Source 210 case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Thanks for your assistance.

[1] I believe an external HDD got a 'USB not recognized' error but it's hard to remember.

My only recommendation other than trying a USB backplate would be to make absolutely sure that its the right connector on the motherboard. Your manual should have a map or diagram in it to identify it. If not, there's one here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/#support
Also, make sure that they are compatible in terms of USB 3 or USB 2 (they almost certainly are, but just to be sure).

I've had a look around and can't see any similar complaints about that case or motherboard, so it's unlikely to be a known fault or batch problem.

TopazFusion:
snip

It's a different case from a different manufacturer. I bought a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter (my motherboard doesn't have a USB 3.0 header) and it works, so maybe I have the shitty luck of two completely different cases being faulty :/

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked