Audio editing help

Hey guys longshot question here but is anyone here an expert on video/audio editing?

Reason I ask is that about half a year ago I recorded some content with a little flip mino of an important event. Turns out I was the only one who recorded the event. But suffice to say flip mino camcorders aren't exactly the best recording devices when it comes to audio and where I was positioned.

However, I'm used to editing easier audio recordings like say a video game or a single person talking. But this one has multiple moments of applause, and cheers that spike the audio. But on the other hand even with the use of a microphone and since I wasn't near either source the audio levels there are low. I'd normally just increase the volume but that would increase the entire track. I can't normalize it due to the spikes and even if I split the audio I then create a variance that doesn't sound consistent.

I know it's not easy but I could really use some help on this one.

Without knowing what it all sounds like, but have you tried using compression and gating?

If yes...

I'm blanking on the name of the name of the plug-in, but there's one out there than can take a source from the audio file and minimize it. If you have access to it I would suggest you use that since it can help you out with balancing issues. If any of that makes sense then I hope it helps since I tend to speak audio jargon. >.>

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Without knowing what it all sounds like, but have you tried using compression and gating?

If yes...

I'm blanking on the name of the name of the plug-in, but there's one out there than can take a source from the audio file and minimize it. If you have access to it I would suggest you use that since it can help you out with balancing issues. If any of that makes sense then I hope it helps since I tend to speak audio jargon. >.>

Oh don't worry I'm a complete newbie when it comes to audio editing. Especially since I've never really had to actually solve a major audio issue like that. So please treat me as if I was a total newbie.

As for compression and gating, I know OF the tools but really don't know much about em. So I haven't tried that yet.

I'm currently using Sony Movie studio Plat 12(I also have Sound Forge) as my software if that helps. So if you know of a video that could explain how to utilize that tool then I'd be greatly appreciative.

Tenmar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

If yes...

Oh don't worry I'm a complete newbie when it comes to audio editing. Especially since I've never really had to actually solve a major audio issue like that. So please treat me as if I was a total newbie.

As for compression and gating, I know OF the tools but really don't know much about em. So I haven't tried that yet.

I'm currently using Sony Movie studio Plat 12(I also have Sound Forge) as my software if that helps. So if you know of a video that could explain how to utilize that tool then I'd be greatly appreciative.

Well, compression is compression, so if you know what each function does in a compressor then it's pretty much universal for them all. Same as a gate.

Here's one for compression...

...here's one for using a gate...

If you need anymore help, just let me know and I'll be more than welcome to. :D

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Awesome I'll check these videos out. Thanks so much for your time and I'll be certain to post here if I have any more questions. Really want to get this audio brought to a decent level because the event was really special for a family member of mine and while I don't have much it would make a great gift and I know they would want it.

EDIT: I should add that it is all just people giving speeches. So no music involved.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Actually one quick question. Should I try to mix the tools together like normalize, or increase volume with the compression or gate?

Noticing a MAJOR improvement using compression.

Tenmar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Actually one quick question. Should I try to mix the tools together like normalize, or increase volume with the compression or gate?

Noticing a MAJOR improvement using compression.

Well, since I don't really know what the whole thing sounds like, I would do compression first, and then use a gate if compressing isn't quite enough. Gating is something as a last resort in mixing if there are some stray frequencies running amok.

Using EQ will help in making it sound better as well after you've done all that too.

The best I can do has pretty much already been said by Fiz, but I'll try my best!. I don't know Sound Forge all that well, but what you could try is get Audacity and edit everything in there. A lot of plugins work with the interface too!

The best course of action would be to isolate certain sections, like the applause, and compress them or simply lower the volume on them altogether. If someone is talking over the applause, compression is your best bet, maybe even make a new track for those sections with lowered treble (8000-12000Hz) Second would be to apply a noise gate. I've found that for spoken word, a -75db one works best, but it all depends on what you're listening to your audio through. For example, low quality vs high quality speakers/headphones; you hear all the subtleties through good audio setups and that can ruin bad production stuff for you.

Lastly, EQ balancing is your friend. I think Audacity has a few presets built in, if not you can download a few if you don't feel like mastering yourself. For vocals, try these settings:
5000Hz: +6.5db
12000Hz: +2db

OR

315Hz: -4.5db
12000Hz: +7db

OR

7300Hz: +6db

I took those from Garageband as I normally just do whatever sounds good to me. Good luck!

First off thanks guys I was able to get the speeches edited to where I like it and with the least amount of peaking as possible. Some were still too quiet though.

But I have another question. What do you do about editing out wind noise? What tool in Sony studio do you recommend?

Tenmar:
First off thanks guys I was able to get the speeches edited to where I like it and with the least amount of peaking as possible. Some were still too quiet though.

But I have another question. What do you do about editing out wind noise? What tool in Sony studio do you recommend?

I'm not really familiar with Sony studio, as my disclaimer, but from what I've looked into from a quick google search it does have an audio restoration feature.

So you can use that to take out the wind noise, and I believe Sound Forge has the same thing from what I've gathered. Other than that, you're gonna have to spend some cash on an external plug-in for mastering.

Tenmar:

Try opening the EQ visualizer and see the standard voice range for the speaker and then drop the other regions. If that doesn't work, try dropping the EQ below 90Hz, that might help with the wind.

This is audio repair software, comes with a trial. Basically, take a sample of the wind (ideally without dialogue) and filter it out. It's a long shot, I've never tried it, but hopefully it helps a little bit.

Wind elimination is tricky. The best solution is to get rid of it before it's ever and issue, but I realise that's not always practical with a camcorder.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked