*Help Needed* Laptop won't go to parts of the internet, and crashs randomly

Hi there, In about August i purcased a MSI GE60 for university. It's a mid range gaming laptop. I used it for a bout a month before i moved away in mid september, With almost no issues. It ran fine.

However, Ever since i got here it's preformance has gone down hill, and today it has reached the point of being totally unusable. I was actually enjoying Windows 8 up untill i moved away, As at home it worked flawlessly.

Here is a the order of the various breakdowns in the last week or too.

2 weeks ago :

Installed Hamachi in order to play the latest Terraria update with freinds. I have to reinstall Hamachi every time i restart the computer, or nobody can reach me (Weird, But reinstalling isn't an exactly complicated process)

Despite having 8gb of ram, The preformance continued to deteriorate, I assumed i had picked up a virus from someplace, But neither AVG or Zone Alarm detected anything other than the odd cookie here and there.

Also, From this point on whenever i selected "Restart" the computer would hang at the black "MSI" screen, and after around 10 minutes procceed to "Configure Windows Features" for the best part of an hour. Powering off and then Powering it back on again manually worked without issue.

Last Week : The Ethernet and Wireless cards shut themselves down at seemingly random intervals, With no given cause. This made gaming/working/streaming difficult as they would have to be manually restarted (Sometimes multiple times) before they would become operable again.

Today : I started up my pc, Played some minecraft with a freind, and i left the server on whilst i went out the shop. Came back to find it had locked up, Went to restart and despite the wireless and ethernet ports having "Internet Access" nothing could connect to the internet on the computer (I checked on my ipod and with a flatmate, and there was no issue with the actual internet at the flat).

At this point i was getting agitated, So i tried to do a system restore, as i was sure something was infected/corrupted. This failed every time i tried it untill i had unistalled BOTH Zone Alarm and AVG. This semi-fixed my issue.

Now, Steam/Skype worked fine, However i now find my laptop (My Ipod could go everywhere and anywhere fine) unable to go to certain places on the internet.

For Example :

Can't go to :

Facebook (Ipod Touch CAN)
MSN (Ipod Touch CAN)
AVG.Com OR Zone alarms website (Could only download them via Cnet, Again, Ipod Touch could connect)
Star Trek Online's servers (I tried another server based game on steam, Airmech, And that worked fine)

To add to this list of hillaraties, I can't reinstall Zone Alarm/AVG because of the system backdate, as it believes i already have them, But i can't unistall them via control panel because "No Valid Install"

So Yeah, Some help would be really appreciated (In any regard), As i have no idea how to fix this (That cost me 700!)and it's quite a important tool for both Uni-Work and Entertainment!

Much appreciated, And thanks in advance!

Edit : Oh yeah, and to add to the fun, Windows Explorer keeps crashing. Yup, I Can't even browse my own files! :D

If you are having trouble getting to specific websites, that usually means you have a virus or malware infection that is screwing around with your web browser. The hanging and slowness could also be the result of a failing hard drive. If you can get MalwareBytes installed on your computer, run a scan and see if it picks up anything. Worst case, you may have to simply nuke your system from orbit and do a reformat and reinstall Windows. I hope you took the time to make recovery disks before things went to hell, otherwise reinstalling Windows might be a bit tricky unless you happen to have a Windows 8 DVD lying around. Some prebuilt systems will have a separate recovery partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore the computer and OS to factory defaults, naturally you will lose all your files, so backup before you do any of that.

It's difficult to say what the cause may be as most of your symptoms seem like they could be software related but hanging on the post screen throws a spanner in the works (maybe a random fluke?). Your Windows installation is messed up at the least so I'd definitely start with a reinstall. If you are still having problems after that then you should send it back for repair under warranty.

Supernova1138:
If you are having trouble getting to specific websites, that usually means you have a virus or malware infection that is screwing around with your web browser. The hanging and slowness could also be the result of a failing hard drive. If you can get MalwareBytes installed on your computer, run a scan and see if it picks up anything. Worst case, you may have to simply nuke your system from orbit and do a reformat and reinstall Windows. I hope you took the time to make recovery disks before things went to hell, otherwise reinstalling Windows might be a bit tricky unless you happen to have a Windows 8 DVD lying around. Some prebuilt systems will have a separate recovery partition on the hard drive that you can use to restore the computer and OS to factory defaults, naturally you will lose all your files, so backup before you do any of that.

Thank you for your responce!

Thankfully, Access to the site of MalwareBytes wasn't blocked, I ran and installed it and i was indeed infested with Malware...

(Interestingly, Several of the Malware programmes had come with a Punkbuster download that i automatically received after buying Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on steam for nostalgia reasons the other day...)

I unfortunately don't have a Win8 disc, as it came pre-installed with my system.... Hopefully it won't come to nuking it.

Anyway, I have full access over the internet again at least, I'll report back later with how stable the system is. Thanks for recommending Malwarebytes, It found and destroyed in 20 minutes what 3 full intensity AVG scans (3 hours!!) missed. Definitely going to use it over AVG now.

latiasracer:
Thanks for recommending Malwarebytes, It found and destroyed in 20 minutes what 3 full intensity AVG scans (3 hours!!) missed. Definitely going to use it over AVG now.

Malwarebyte bytes is an anti-malware/spyware program best used along with an A/V program. It's not a replacement for AVG and, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't offer real time protection. If you don't like AVG, I suggest using Avast.

AWAR:
Malwarebyte bytes is an anti-malware/spyware program best used along with an A/V program. It's not a replacement for AVG and, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't offer real time protection. If you don't like AVG, I suggest using Avast.

I believe it does offer real-time protection but only in the paid version at this point in time. Not sure how well it works though since like most I've only ever used it as a supplement.

latiasracer:
I unfortunately don't have a Win8 disc, as it came pre-installed with my system.... Hopefully it won't come to nuking it.

You can download the relevent .iso file from the web for free and it's totally legit as long as you have the appropriate serial key. Considering the apparent state of your system I'd definitely look into reinstalling.

AWAR:

latiasracer:
Thanks for recommending Malwarebytes, It found and destroyed in 20 minutes what 3 full intensity AVG scans (3 hours!!) missed. Definitely going to use it over AVG now.

I have the paid edition of Zone Alarm, And that includes a firewall and anti-virus. I only had AVG installed as it's supposed to be really good at picking stuff up (Evidently Not!)

xXSnowyXx:

AWAR:

I believe it does offer real-time protection but only in the paid version at this point in time. Not sure how well it works though since like most I've only ever used it as a supplement.

latiasracer:

You can download the relevent .iso file from the web for free and it's totally legit as long as you have the appropriate serial key. Considering the apparent state of your system I'd definitely look into reinstalling.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely look into doing that.

Cheers for all your responses!

latiasracer:
I have the paid edition of Zone Alarm, And that includes a firewall and anti-virus. I only had AVG installed as it's supposed to be really good at picking stuff up (Evidently Not!)

FYI ZoneAlarm free has the same firewall, anti-virus and real-time protection included in the paid version...buying it only adds a few features that I would consider somewhat specialized that most people (me included) have little use for. I myself am a fan of ZoneAlarm because it's pretty top notch in just about every regard as far as free alternatives go (I don't have much comparison however since I've never used a paid one). Combining it with MalwareBytes to fill the gap in the unlikely occurrence of something managing to get through (it happened once) leaves you pretty dang well protected. Just make sure you keep that shit updated.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked