Acne...

I'm trying to pretty myself up lately. I started eating right, lost a bunch of weight, started spending my money on stylish clothes instead of video games... but the one thing holding me back from feeling good about myself, the one thing I can't beat, is my damn skin.

I keep getting zits. It's always three big ones in random spots on my face. Once they clear up, I have a day or two of decent skin (minus all the red post-acne marks) followed by another three springing up.

I just don't know what to do. I wash my face twice a day (in the morning with antibacterial soap, and before bed with these "exfoliating skin wipes" that are embarrassing to buy) I make sure not to touch my face, I moisturize with non-greasy lotion, I take vitamins... Nothing works.

I'm 21, I finished puberty years ago, but I can't shake these zits, and it's unbelievably frustrating. How can I prevent them from happening? And how can I treat ones already on my face? I've used that acid stuff and benzoyl peroxide, neither of them helped. I don't know what to do...

Are you male or female?

If you're female there are a wider range of prescription options for you. I recommend you try a retinoid based anti-inflammatory like Differin gel. It won't make them vanish overnight, but it definitely helped me in my recovery period when I got skin problems. The biggest change for came when I cut out all refined sugar products, alcohol, bacteria rich cheeses, palm oil; upped my fresh fruit and veg intake a lot, exercised frequently (sweat flushes the pores) and id my best to keep my sleep patterns regular. If you're only getting a couple of spots at a time, you likely won't have to go a far as me, but try it. If I remember any more tips, I'll add them later, as I know this can be a frustrating problem. For now though, I advise you try what I suggested and book a visit with a GP to some anti inflammatory gel/ cream.

Salicylic acid based cleansers work for me too

If you're a female, try talking to your doctor about birth control. It works wonders for most of us. I recently went off the pill for a bit and my face felt greasy all the time, went back on a week ago and my skin is dry again.

Otherwise, I daily use a scrub with the grains in it. I use that stuff daily, they recommend a couple times a week. Get one that's a really fine paste that basically feels like creamy sand. Not just a few scrubbies here and there in the facewash - get one where it's all scrubbies. And go for it. Use a toner after your shower, too. I've always done that daily, and I'm 30 now.

Salacylic(?) acid is great, too.

You'll have to try a lot of things to find what works for your skin, everyone's different. But go for a scrub. Daily. Even if it says not to use it daily. When I was a teen, the brand I used discontinued and I was heartbroken. I couldn't find anything as good as it, and was badly pimply until I was ion my early 20's. Then my skin changed into adult skin.

Good luck, I know how miserable it is.

I find that that more "anti acne" products and chemicals I use, the worse it gets.

A few years back I started using light non-scented moisturizer on my face in the morning, and washing my face only with hot water when I shower and suddenly the zits disappeared.

Try just not using any chemicals or such on your face. I always found such things just made it worse. Instead try just moisturizing daily and showering only once every couple of days if possible. If nothing else your skin will end up looking a bit better.

See if you can find a moisturizer known as Cetaphil. I believe you can only find it at Chemist's/Pharmacist's.

Juste Goose:
I'm trying to pretty myself up lately. I started eating right, lost a bunch of weight, started spending my money on stylish clothes instead of video games... but the one thing holding me back from feeling good about myself, the one thing I can't beat, is my damn skin.

I keep getting zits. It's always three big ones in random spots on my face. Once they clear up, I have a day or two of decent skin (minus all the red post-acne marks) followed by another three springing up.

I just don't know what to do. I wash my face twice a day (in the morning with antibacterial soap, and before bed with these "exfoliating skin wipes" that are embarrassing to buy) I make sure not to touch my face, I moisturize with non-greasy lotion, I take vitamins... Nothing works.

I'm 21, I finished puberty years ago, but I can't shake these zits, and it's unbelievably frustrating. How can I prevent them from happening? And how can I treat ones already on my face? I've used that acid stuff and benzoyl peroxide, neither of them helped. I don't know what to do...

Try either washing your pillowcase every night, or putting a clean towel on it before you go to bed. Those can get filthy pretty easily, and keeping your face clean doesn't mean shit when you're rubbing it against a bunch of oil and dirt and drool for 6 hours a night.

Also, if you can, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. I had mildly bad acne too, and not just little whiteheads, but deep red pimples, and everything I tried wasn't working, until I eventually got on Accutane

Oh! And sunlight!

I find the sun gets rid of blemishes better than any product. If it's a nice day take a book outside and get some rays on your face :)

Eat healthy ungreasy food. Wash face. Get sun. Do physical activity. Don't waste money on trendy clothes.

Using chemicals helps short term but affects bodies abilities to naturally solve problems, this is true from zit cream to extacy.

Since it's from 4chan the language is harsh, but I find following this works really well.

Also try washing your pillow more often to put a clean towel on top so you're not rubbing your face in dirt and oils all night.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked