40% (2)
Handheld jackhammer
40% (2)
40% (2)
Mini-digger with hydraulic jackhammer attachment
20% (1)
20% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Best tool for breaking up a concrete driveway?

Hello all,
This is for anyone who has broken up concrete in the past.
What is the best tool for breaking up a cracked section of a non-reinforced concrete driveway? Because a section of my driveway has cracked and sunken when heavy vehicles such as furniture delivery vehicles have come to my place and i was wondering weither i should go to my nearest home improvement store and purchase a 50 lb sledgehammer or would it be quicker and easier to go and hire a heavy-duty electric jackhammer or a 2-stroke demolition saw with a diamond blade.

Having used both I can say the jackhammer will get the job done easier. I wouldn't recommend the saw simply because it would likely be faster to crack up the slab with the jackhammer than make a bunch of cuts. However the question remains - would you rather the job be easier, or would you rather have a sledge hammer? Cuz I got one.

xXSnowyXx:
Having used both I can say the jackhammer will get the job done easier. I wouldn't recommend the saw simply because it would likely be faster to crack up the slab with the jackhammer than make a bunch of cuts. However the question remains - would you rather the job be easier, or would you rather have a sledge hammer? Cuz I got one.

Yeah but unless i can hire a 2-stroke gasoline fueled jackhammer from my nearest hire shop i'm not too keen on a jackhammer because a heavy-duty electric one would like cause the Residual Current Device attached to my garage power socket to trip from heat build-up because i know my arc welder does that if i use it for an decent length of time.So i'll likely hire and use a 2-stroke demolition saw with a diamond blade with the big pry-bar sitting in my garage to remove the cut up section of concrete.

I can definitely understand having that issue with a welder simply because of the way it works but an electric jackhammer? It doesn't even compare.

right up my alley this one.
for starters you have to specify what sort of area you are talking bout. if it's a metre squared noone gives a fuck, i've broke up bigger areas than that with a hammer and a screwdriver.
if however we are talking bout a decent sized drive way i would just get in a professional, odds are they'll have a beast of a ride on and have the job done quick enough that the extra cost will offset the hassle
the most common tool for an average to medium stretch of a non-reinforced slab is what is called in australia a "kango"
you can hire them for practically nothing and the are light enough that you don't have to be he-man to use it.

FYI there are few tools that use the sort of current a welder uses.

Or you can be a dwarf and break it apart with a mattock/pickax! I had to dig out a trench through rock soil and roots with one and it worked like a charm.

lechat:
right up my alley this one.
for starters you have to specify what sort of area you are talking bout. if it's a metre squared noone gives a fuck, i've broke up bigger areas than that with a hammer and a screwdriver.
if however we are talking bout a decent sized drive way i would just get in a professional, odds are they'll have a beast of a ride on and have the job done quick enough that the extra cost will offset the hassle
the most common tool for an average to medium stretch of a non-reinforced slab is what is called in australia a "kango"
you can hire them for practically nothing and the are light enough that you don't have to be he-man to use it.

FYI there are few tools that use the sort of current a welder uses.

Thanks for the advice but i think i'll use a 2-stroke demolition saw with a diamond blade because the concrete has pebbles embedded in the concrete and i could use the sliced up concrete as part of a nice footpath.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked