Building first PC, need advice on the components.

Hey all,
I'm planning to finally buy a desktop PC since my laptop sucks. I am trying to keep this very low priced, from 300-400 euros for new components. I do have a screen and a copy of Windows as well as USB Mouse and Keyboard. My point of refference for pricing is Alternate.at and Amazon.de since I live in Austria.

Components to buy:
CPU: AMD A8-6600K - 90 €
RAM: G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-2133 - 69 €
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 - 35 €
Motherboard: ASUS A55BM-A/USB3 - 54 €
PSU: Thermaltake Munich 430W - 37 €
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB - 69 €
CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 64 PLUS - 10 €
Wireless: ASUS PCE-N15 - 21 €

Existing Components:
Screen: AOC I2269Vw - 22inch 1080p IPS
Mouse: Logitech M500
Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless 800 (I know, I know)
HDD: will be taking out my laptop's 500 GB 5400rpm drive.

I'm looking for the best ultra cheap performance that I can get and an APU system seems like a good way to go. It gives me decent enough gaming performance now, with a chance of upgrading it later by just slotting in a graphics card. In defence of the motherboard and cooler: I will barely be overclocking this. However, I was looking at perhaps getting the ASUS A55BM-PLUS instead and if someone can reccommend a sub 25 € FM2 cooler that can handle light overclocking, please post it here.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

AlwaysPractical:
snip

Looks ok to me, however the new kaveri APUs are due to be released this month so if I were you I'd wait a couple of weeks. As for overclocking, the Coolermaster 212 evo cooler is probably the best in terms of price/performance, albeit a bit more expensive that what you're willing to spend.
The PSU is a bit meh. Thermaltake's lower end models aren't very reputable. I'd recommend Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Coolermaster.

AWAR:

AlwaysPractical:
snip

Looks ok to me, however the new kaveri APUs are due to be released this month so if I were you I'd wait a couple of weeks. As for overclocking, the Coolermaster 212 evo cooler is probably the best in terms of price/performance, albeit a bit more expensive that what you're willing to spend.
The PSU is a bit meh. Thermaltake's lower end models aren't very reputable. I'd recommend Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Coolermaster.

I will probably wait until the first performance tests for Kaveri are out and might leave out the SSD to get a better MB, CPU and cooler. If Kaveri will have its A8 around the 100 mark, I will go for that. Thanks for the advice on the cooler, will see if I can squeeze it in.

As for Power Supply: I'm not looking for a very good one, just a reliable branded one. Since I currently don't have to pay an electricity bill, I am just looking for one that will not light on fire in my system. I was considering the cheaper 350W Corsair VS 350 but am not sure if 350W will be enough, even without a graphics card.

AlwaysPractical:
-snip

350watt will probably be enough, but you will run into problems when you add a graphics card. I'd use the SSD money for a 450-500watt Corsair one.

After the Kaveri launch, I've decided to make these my new specs:
CPU: AMD A10-7700K - 143 €
RAM: G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-2133 - 67 €
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 - 35 €
Motherboard: ASUS A55BM-A/USB3 - 53 €
PSU: Thermaltake Munich 430W - 36 €
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB - 69 €
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo - 20 €
Wireless: ASUS PCE-N15 - 20 €

I will be sticking with the Thermaltake Munich since every other 430 Watt 80-Plus PSU I could find is a lot more expensive.
Any further suggestions?

AlwaysPractical:
-snip

You might need to do a bios update because of the new CPU model. It's not as hard as it sounds, Asus has software that can update it through Windows.

If you decide to add a graphics card in the future you will have to change your PSU, which will cost more money in the long run. You should consider getting the aftermarket cooler on a later date in order to save some cash.

AWAR:
You might need to do a bios update because of the new CPU model. It's not as hard as it sounds, Asus has software that can update it through Windows.

If you decide to add a graphics card in the future you will have to change your PSU, which will cost more money in the long run. You should consider getting the aftermarket cooler on a later date in order to save some cash.

The motherboard is an FM2+ socket, so I think it will be able to run the CPU out of the box but thanks for the warning.

In terms of PSU my other options would be: Corsair CX 430, Cooler Master B500 or Thermaltake Hamburg 530W, what would you recommend?

AlwaysPractical:
snip

Out of the three the Corsair is definitely the best one, however it has a low wattage for a mid-high end graphics card. I suggest spending just a little bit more for the 500w version.

AWAR:
snip

I think I'll be going with the Corsair CX 500 then. It's the same price as the Silverstone and is generally considered very quiet and stable.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked