Help I'm trying to write but I don't know how to fluff!

Ok now that I have your attention I need advice on how to fluff stuff I write. Write now I'm writing a fantasy story and I want it to be around a novella in length but unfortunately for me I don't know how to fluff the chapters enough to make each long enough as to make it where you arn't reading 10 chapters in a row while it could be summed up in one chapter but if I do just put everything into one chapter its an uncomprehendable mess. I'll leave a link to what I have so far so as to give you guys a taste as to what I mean.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vdErXHnIGoxuYJUobMQ5MePapUorn4ZJ6SandipP30Q/edit

I guess the first question I'd ask is: what are you trying to fluff?

Do you think characters should have better definition, add dialogue with them talking about the events at hand (or something totally unrelated while events unfold).

Can your environments bear more description? Do that.

Make sure you're adding weight and drama to your actions. Instead of (for example) 'Terry punched Mark', you could say 'Terry slung his fist through the air with all of his weight behind it. Before Mark could even react, it connected with his cheek, loosing teeth and sending him staggering backwards.'

senordesol:

Thank you for making my day. I sat on the train this morning and giggled all the way to work.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fluffer

Link nsfw

senordesol:

Do you think characters should have better definition, add dialogue with them talking about the events at hand (or something totally unrelated while events unfold).

Make sure you're adding weight and drama to your actions. Instead of (for example) 'Terry punched Mark', you could say 'Terry slung his fist through the air with all of his weight behind it. Before Mark could even react, it connected with his cheek, loosing teeth and sending him staggering backwards.'

really its everything that needs more words to make it longer, its obviously unfinished but I want to have a long epic adventure with this and the way I'm currently going about it there will be plenty lacking. If you were trying to read this what would you suggest?

God'sFist:

senordesol:

really its everything that needs more words to make it longer, its obviously unfinished but I want to have a long epic adventure with this and the way I'm currently going about it there will be plenty lacking. If you were trying to read this what would you suggest?

I'm not in a position to read your doc. Can you briefly summarize your premise and characters?

There are several ways to go about 'fluffing' your stories, but -honestly- you should have a long, hard think about whether it *needs* fluffing. There's no shame in crafting a well-written short story.

Just general advice:
Chapter-by-chapter outline. Assuming you already know how you want your story to start and end, briefly detail chapter-by-chapter what happens. So long as each chapter fulfills its objective, you can pretty much put whatever you want in those chapters.

Compound your story. They meet the original objective...and then what? You can get a lot of mileage if you 'fake out' your audience with what appears to be the main event, have it accomplished half-way through, and have an even more important plot element make itself known (that somehow ties into plot thread #1)

Side Missions. Have something critical pull your characters away from their original goal for a while.

Impactful, dramatic wording. I mentioned this in my first post, but I cannot emphasize it enough. You've got to sell why what's happening is important. You've got to make the reader almost see, hear, smell, taste, and feel all the elements at play. If you pay attention to the gravitas of events, you should have no problem 'fluffing' things up as such language can take two or three sentences to convey a mere moment of action.

senordesol:

Just general advice:
Chapter-by-chapter outline. Assuming you already know how you want your story to start and end, briefly detail chapter-by-chapter what happens. So long as each chapter fulfills its objective, you can pretty much put whatever you want in those chapters.

Compound your story. They meet the original objective...and then what? You can get a lot of mileage if you 'fake out' your audience with what appears to be the main event, have it accomplished half-way through, and have an even more important plot element make itself known (that somehow ties into plot thread #1)

Side Missions. Have something critical pull your characters away from their original goal for a while.

Impactful, dramatic wording. I mentioned this in my first post, but I cannot emphasize it enough. You've got to sell why what's happening is important. You've got to make the reader almost see, hear, smell, taste, and feel all the elements at play. If you pay attention to the gravitas of events, you should have no problem 'fluffing' things up as such language can take two or three sentences to convey a mere moment of action.

thank you for the advice I really appreciate it sucks you can't read what I have. But as for what I am writing it's supposed to be a fantasy adventure in my own unique fantasy world. It has an over arching villain with a protagonist you don't meet till later as the world is still being set up in the beginning of the story.

God'sFist:

thank you for the advice I really appreciate it sucks you can't read what I have. But as for what I am writing it's supposed to be a fantasy adventure in my own unique fantasy world. It has an over arching villain with a protagonist you don't meet till later as the world is still being set up in the beginning of the story.

Alright, that's not much for me to go on, but off the bat; here are my immediate thoughts as an author:

What is this world, and how is it distinct from earth --or any of the other dozen fantasyverses we've already read? (Be careful not to front-load the answer to this in your opening chapters, give the audience a decent chunk then spool it out throughout.

Who is this villain and why don't I want him to win? Does he know he's a villain? What power does he have over the plot and what made him what he is?

Who is your protagonist and what skills has he developed to challenge the villain and how? Does he have any friends? What does he want out of life and what's his stake in this story?

What are the major cultural and political divisions of this world? How are they addressed? What sides of the issues do the villain and protag fall on? Does the protag have an acquaintance who falls on a side separate to his? If so, how do they resolve this difference? If not, how does he deal with people who do?

There's enough right there to fill out several dozen pages without a single word of plot.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked